Bearded Dragon not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
So now i'm confused on what worms i am supposed to be feeding her because everyone said something different. I have been giving her the ones you get at the pet store that are pretty tiny and i only give her about 3-5 a day. Should i switch to something else now that shes not a baby anymore?

Maybe i will get the butterworms since you said i wont need to worry about dusting those. Do they sell those at pet stores or do i order them online?

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Unfortunately, most of the advice I was giving you was for an adult. Since yours is not an adult, she will probably still be on an insect heavy diet. They only switch to 80% veggies 20% insects AFTER they have hit adulthood. Which at 12 inches, yours has not.

You still need to dust the insects. Even if you get butterworms, you still need a multivitamin.
Calciworms are available at Petco. Butterworms and roaches you can order online.
You can't just feed one type of insect anyway. You need to vary it. So you will have to purchase calcium powder and a multivitamin regardless. I'm thinking you should already have both of these for your tortoise...

At this point, I would recommend visiting www.beardeddragon.org. There are plenty of caresheets there that csn help you.

The petstore is not going to give you good info about reptiles.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif
My son has two bearded dragons (3 yrs and 8 yrs). Although he was told the same thing, they only eat greens occasionally. One day they stopped eating crickets entirely. So they were fed super worms (by hand so none escaped) which they love. Then the older one, Marilyn just started having a hard time with them, so he switched to pinkies and roaches which he also hand feeds with twisers. They love them. They still get the sprinkling of greens in their habitat which they will eat, but not enough to sustain.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
My tortoise has the cuttle bone so i should probably get some calcium powder or i could probably just scrape some off of the cuttle bone.

It seems like everyone will tell you something different about bearded dragons. Its so hard to keep up. Im so lost. Shes eaten nothing for 2 days accept maybe 5 of those tiny little worms

I have been feeding her the meal worms and then the lady at the store told me to feed her the super worms but i thought those are way to big for her

But since shes still that small its ok if shes only eating insects and nothing else? And if shes only eating insects how many a day do i give her?

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Mealworms are definitely not ok. Too much chitin and she will seriously get impacted.
I wouldn't give her superworms either. She's too small.
Go get some calciworms from Petco. Or look on Craigslist and get her some roaches.
Beardies are not supposed to have insects only. Keep feeding her veggies. For a beardie that size/age, she's going to need more than 5-6 worms a day. She might even need to eat twice a day. As I said in a previous post, it should be as much as they can eat in 10-15 min.

I think you are making it harder than it needs to be. Who is telling you to feed her mealworms?? I have never seen that recommended, except from a petstore, which you should never trust.

Please, go to www.beardeddragon.org.
It's just like this forum, but for bearded dragons.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Kameo37 said:
Mealworms are definitely not ok. Too much chitin and she will seriously get impacted.
I wouldn't give her superworms either. She's too small.
Go get some calciworms from Petco. Or look on Craigslist and get her some roaches.
Beardies are not supposed to have insects only. Keep feeding her veggies. For a beardie that size/age, she's going to need more than 5-6 worms a day. She might even need to eat twice a day. As I said in a previous post, it should be as much as they can eat in 10-15 min.

I think you are making it harder than it needs to be. Who is telling you to feed her mealworms?? I have never seen that recommended, except from a petstore, which you should never trust.

Please, go to www.beardeddragon.org.
It's just like this forum, but for bearded dragons.

I feel like if i feed her as many calci worms as she wants she will go crazy and wont stop eating them lol because shes like that with her meal worms

I am going to get her some calciworms right now

Kameo37

5 Year Member
She's old enough to not over eat. I'm sure she'll be just fine!

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Ok this should be interesting. I will put some calcium on them from the cuttlebone and i will update you on how many she eats :)

Kameo37

5 Year Member
You don't need to dust calciworms with calcium. If you plan on feeding those as a staple then just dust them with thr multivitamin twice a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Oh duh! I feel stupid. I just got home and they are all dead. I have to go back and exchange them. What multi vitamin do i get? I don't think i understood that part.

I had to get the wax worms because i went back to petco to exchange the calciworms and every single thing of them were dead. They had been sitting on the shelf dead for 3 months. My bearded dragon ate 5 of the wax worms and walked away. Should i feed her the wax worms twice a day or do you think she will only want them once? Maybe if i get the roaches or if i find the calciworms i can switch it up and feed her two different kinds a day?

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Waxworms are not a good staple. They are too fatty.

They probably have herptivite or something similar at the store.

Yes, you can switch it up. Did you go to the bearded dragon forum to find out about feeding frequency for a juvie? All of my experience is with an adult. He was 18 inches when I got him.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Kameo37 said:
Waxworms are not a good staple. They are too fatty.

They probably have herptivite or something similar at the store.

Yes, you can switch it up. Did you go to the bearded dragon forum to find out about feeding frequency for a juvie? All of my experience is with an adult. He was 18 inches when I got him.

Wax worms was all they had. It was either that or the super worms. She wouldn't eat the dead calciworms. She wont eat anything thats dead.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Hello. I currently have 2 12in beardies and they are a handful!

First things Powersuns are MVB bulbs and are good for a full year. No need to change them every 6months (even for your sulcata).
How big is the cage and how far from the lights is the basking spot?
Next their basking spot should have atleast one spot that reaches atleast 100F. I use a stack of rocks and flagstones for my basking spot and it has temps of 115, 105, and 94 F.

Feeding: he should be eating about 40% veggies and 60% bugs.
Mine eat 1/4cup of salad-I use spring mix with grated squash (type doesnt really matter but favorite is butternut), grated sweet potatoe, bell peppers, and Kale or collard greens.
for bugs they currently eat about large crickets, full grown silkworms, phoenixworms, medium sized roaches, and whatever flies that wander into their cages. They can eat 60-100 bugs each a day depending on the size of the bugs offered.

Try not to feed mealworms or superworms as they cant really digest them well yet. If you broke the worms in half they might be able to eat them but its best not to even try.

For phoenixworms i found its cheapest to order them from www.floridaherps.com and I order 500+ at a time and then when I feed them to the babies I just take a cup of them (about 100) and dump half in a bowl for one baby and half in the bowl for the other one. Then leave the bowls in the cage all day and the worms magically dissappear.

I also have an adult beardie that eats nothing but superworms (she hates salad) and she became obese and then went on a hunger strike for the past month and she ate very little before that.

I should also mention that it has been the monsoon season for alot of people and this has caused many of the reptiles to slow down and stop eating. So this could be one reason your dragon isnt eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.