Behavior

izzy&pearl

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could either give info or a link to another thread about russian tortoise behavior...

I find myself worrying about if my tort is hungry or dehydrated or sick or stressed, and I don't know quite what to look for! What seem to be normal and abnormal eating, sleeping, and digging behaviors for russian torts? I want to make sure I am able to anticipate her needs so I can make sure she is well taken care of.

Thanks!
Izzy&Pearl

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
El Sobrante, CA.
Hello & Welcome....
Yes, If your unfamiliar with Tort's it can be over whelming.
Here is a link to a Thread regarding the care of Temperate Species of Tort's:

As far a Food (hungry), & Hydration (Dehydration) they will eat as much as they need, then turn away, and if you give them soak's of 30 min to an hour routinely, they should have enough hydration to keep them healthy.
They need to be kept warm and given plenty of space to walk / move around in, as this helps them digest their food.
I have a leopard that Usually asleep at night, But his daily schedule is all over the map.
He can get up @ 7am and be moving around, and I usually provide food, whether he eats or not is up to him, or he can sleep most the day then get up later.
They are all individuals, and act differently according to their environment (Partially).
Over time you'll learn what works for him/her, and will be able to notice when things are just not right....
I hope some of this helps...
How long have you had Her/Him?
How old is your Tort?
What is her/His enclosure like?