Black Mt. Tortoises:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
I just got 4 baby black mountain tortoises today, only a year old, cant tell sex but suppose to be a 2.2 but thats not always 100 percent. I have an outdoor enclosure built for them, but they will be indoors during the night, and most days. I should just keep them outside 24/7 but i read they shouldnt have temps go lower then 65, and it gets to the 50s at night around here.

I have never cared for yearling mt. tortoises but i have had two subadults in the past, so i'm not totally new to them. Any other info would help i know there are a few people that have these tortoises, so shared expeirience ect.

PS: i'm in so cali and i think they would do good in this climate as long as i keep humidity up useing sprinklers and plants ect.. I'm guessing these guys are almost like keeping box turtles, with humidty and such, diet i know is a little different, kinda in the middle of box turtles and fully grassland tortoises.

Here is a pictures of one of the "females"
DSC01463.jpg

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I also have some yearlings (probably very closely related to these) and they spend the summer days out. The enclosure as an eastern exposure and gets no sun from noon on. They have heavy folage and get sprinklers set on mist twice a day and a wadeing pool (depth of 3/4 shell depth). They get weeds such as dandilions, plantain weed, violets, grape and mulberry leaves. Also get soft fruits and mushrooms. They get whatever bugs and worms they can forage. This year they getting thier very own colacasia and bannana plant.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kyle: Contrary to what you might have heard, the Asian mountain tortoise is quite cold hardy. As you live in SoCal, I think the weather is just fine for them to stay outside 24/7 as long as their habitat is safe from predators. I don't worry about making the whole habitat safe, I just make sure that all the animals are locked up in their outdoor houses at night, and the houses are predator safe. One thing that I found out the hard way (by killing a tortoise) is that they are VERY susceptible to overheating. They MUST have plenty of shade in their habitat. The sun is a killer for them.

Yvonne

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
yeah, i am kinda waiting for my enclosure to grow out for shade. Also i was thinking of keeping them out 24/7, it can get to high 40s still arlight?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As young as yours are, I would put a black light or ceramic heat emitter inside the sleeping house at night. I usually turn off my heat sources when the night time temps are consistently 50 and above...but mine are bigger than yours. So, 40 is probably a bit too cool for your babies.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The easiest thing I found was stacking cinder blocks in a square and placing a piece of thick plywood on top for a roof you can open. I either screwed in a couple eye hooks on the ceiling to hold the lights, or placed a thin piece of wood like a piece of lath across from one side to the other and hung the light fixture from that. At night I block the doorway with another piece of plywood and a cinder block to keep critters out.

Yvonne

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Here are a few more pictures of them soaking.
DSC01468.jpg

DSC01470.jpg

DSC01471.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

DSC01474.jpg

Ps: thanks yvonne, i am going to try and build one tonight, i'm still bringing them in every night till i can build a good hide for them, which i'm hoping this weekend it will be finished.

but i did add a sprinkler system in there enclosure. I hope they like it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot to mention that you should add worms and slugs to their diet. They eat quite a bit of that sort of thing in the wild.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.