Box turtle with severe shell damage

Daisybeans

Location (City and/or State)
Annapolis MD
Hi - Wow, sorry that photo is so huge.
A few box turtles live in my yard and today I found this one with this severe shell damage. It is on the top as you can see and also around the front edge. What can I do for her? I will gladly take her to the vet if necessary but with it being a holiday weekend, I wondered if someone here might have some ideas. I have other pictures if that would be helpful. I feel terrible for her... Thanks, in advance.
Turtle shell damage.jpg

Daisybeans

Annapolis MD
Is there anything I can or do for her to ensure recovery? There is also this small spot on her head that I'm wondering about.IMG_20200523_183219.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Yvonne G will hopefully be able to help you soon. Pretty turtle

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
OMG, that is awful. idk if there is anything that can be done. probably just needs a long time to heal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there anything I can or do for her to ensure recovery? There is also this small spot on her head that I'm wondering about.View attachment 295525
That's very old damage. Eventually new keratin (the top, colorful part of the shell) and bone will grow UNDER that white part. And over time the white part you see will start to look a little raised or puffy. Because the turtle is full grown, this new growth will take a very long time before it causes the old, dead white part (bone) to pop off. Eventually the dead bone will look like you can pick it off with your fingernail. That tells you the new shell and bone is growing nicely underneath.

Because the original patterned keratin was put down in increments as the turtle grew, and the new keratin is being put down all at once, there will be no growth lines or original pattern on the new keratin. But it will be every bit as strong as the original shell.

There's nothing to be done. It's old and dead and will not benefit from any ministrations.

Daisybeans

Annapolis MD
Thanks so much for your answers. One last question about the little spot on the top of her head -- does that need any attention?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks so much for your answers. One last question about the little spot on the top of her head -- does that need any attention?
The red spot? It sort of looks like it's under the skin. If it's not external there's nothing to do about it. If it IS external, you can clean it and apply first aid ointment like Neosporin.