Can someone help identify these plants?

DovySim

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Can someone help identify these leaves. It dosent say what type of leaves these are on the pack that they came with. And are they safe for tortoises?

Thanks20220423_202207.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What sort of pack were they in - shop bought mixed salad or something specifically for torts ?

If it's salad it could be watercress (see if it has a hollow stem) and the red could be a type of Mizuna
You could try looking at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk to check.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Miner's lettuce, mizuna and the last one I can't tell. Baby spinach or Swiss chard maybe. Miner's lettuce seems an odd plant to get in your area; it's mainly West coast North America. (Gold Rush country! That's how miners got to eating it.) But we have it where I grew up in California and that's just what it looks like.

You aren't going to get anything "bad" in salad mix; some are more varied than others or have a bit more fiber or the like. Spinach isn't dangerous, regardless of what you might read. The most important thing is variety. I would just try it and see what your tortoise likes. That's an interesting mix.

I've never had Miner's lettuce to feed so I would be interested to see if they like it—please report back! Spinach/chard are a tossup but you never know. Mizuna is a brassica, like rocket or watercress; safe and probably your tortoise will like it.

DovySim

Ireland
Miner's lettuce, mizuna and the last one I can't tell. Baby spinach or Swiss chard maybe. Miner's lettuce seems an odd plant to get in your area; it's mainly West coast North America. (Gold Rush country! That's how miners got to eating it.) But we have it where I grew up in California and that's just what it looks like.

You aren't going to get anything "bad" in salad mix; some are more varied than others or have a bit more fiber or the like. Spinach isn't dangerous, regardless of what you might read. The most important thing is variety. I would just try it and see what your tortoise likes. That's an interesting mix.

I've never had Miner's lettuce to feed so I would be interested to see if they like it—please report back! Spinach/chard are a tossup but you never know. Mizuna is a brassica, like rocket or watercress; safe and probably your tortoise will like it.
Yup, gave her some miner's lettuce and she seems to love it. She dosent like the mizuna all that much tho.