Can Things Get Too Humid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
This is just curiosity. I bought a small warm-air humidifier for Keyser, and it runs for about 8 hours non-stop per fill. I like to control the humidity manually (spray bottles and such), but, as I'm at school/work a good 12 hours a day, and asleep a good 8 hours (I wish... more like 6 if I'm lucky :p) a day, that's just not realistic.

Will he be fine with the humidifier on for such a long time? I have yet to purchase a humidity gauge yet, but I can assume 8 hours straight will hit the 100% mark. Everywhere I've looked, the universal answer seems to be, as a hatchling, "the wetter the better". I just want to make sure that's not hyperbole. :tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make sure temps are not lower than80-85 all over with the basking spot being 95-100 and it should be fine. I also have a small personal humidifier and it gets to 96% and I have not had any problems. However I have a leopard, not sure if that would make a difference. I don't think so though:D

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Using the warm air humidifier your talking about wont cause temps to drop but they will rise so you wont have a problem their, as far as being to humid, i actully like the humidifiers better than wetting the substrate down so much, to wet of substrate will lead to shell rot/fungus. it is still a good idea to mist their shell when you can also. so the answer is humidify away, just watch the temps rising and with a warm air humidifier just make sure your tort isnt getting the direct steam from it because some of those put out about 130 140 degree steam. a coolmist unltrasonic will drop temps a bit, That is what i use but nothing that lowering your lamp and inch or two can fix. my tort sits with his head way up in the air taking in the direct cool mist coming out of my set up. check my humidifer set up out here---- http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Squirt-Shenanigans-Picture-Update#axzz1ktK3Wb6x

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California

nicola140ss

5 Year Member
SulcataSquirt said:
Using the warm air humidifier your talking about wont cause temps to drop but they will rise so you wont have a problem their, as far as being to humid, i actully like the humidifiers better than wetting the substrate down so much, to wet of substrate will lead to shell rot/fungus. it is still a good idea to mist their shell when you can also. so the answer is humidify away, just watch the temps rising and with a warm air humidifier just make sure your tort isnt getting the direct steam from it because some of those put out about 130 140 degree steam. a coolmist unltrasonic will drop temps a bit, That is what i use but nothing that lowering your lamp and inch or two can fix. my tort sits with his head way up in the air taking in the direct cool mist coming out of my set up. check my humidifer set up out here---- http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Squirt-Shenanigans-Picture-Update#axzz1ktK3Wb6x

Hi Sulcatasquirt

My name is Nicola, I have 2 juvenile Sulcata's Fred and Wilma, 1.5 years old, really struggling with humidity levels, currently have sphagnum moss as substrate but dries out quickly, how long do you have humidifier on and is it a warm air ? Any advice on which are best, live in UK so rough guide as to what you have would be great. Your Sulcata looks amazing !!!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Thank you, I have the Crane cool mist humidifier, (elephant version) i choose this one for reviews iv read on how long they last, and for the ease of plumbing it in to my enclosure, (has a nice round hole in thope to stick the pipe in too.) It runs for around 10 hours a day, and one gallon usually last a few days. you could go cool mist or warm mist its really up to you, but it seemed like all the warm mist ones i looked at didnt have a good way to attach plumbing. as far as Substrate I have coco coir and have really good luck with it holding moisture, i all so use a big 1 gallon sprayer to wet the substrate down, (its actully a chemical sprayer from the hardware store. (has only had water in it.) Im sure you checked it out but here is how i have it set up,(cool mist and coco coir) http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Squirt-Shenanigans-Picture-Update#axzz1l2YbOYah

nicola140ss

5 Year Member
Yeah I had a look at your pics, it looks good, I will see if I can find something which we could set up like that. We have been trying to find that type of substrate also, Thanks so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.