Changed homes for baby sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Ok so I have had my little guy since the beginning of December. He is so adorable. I decided to change his "home". I had him in a plastic storage bin. It was pretty big. I decided to put him in a smaller glass aquarium because it is easier to keep warm and keeps it more humid. I think he likes his new home. He even started using his humid hide box which makes me really happy since I have read about how important humidity is. I just weighed him a couple days ago and he weighed 44 grams. He eats alot. So far I have been giving him spring mix and timothy hay. He doesn't eat to much of the hay but sometimes he will take a couple bites. I have offered him grape leaves and he doesn't like it. I also gave him some kale and he liked it. I bought some zoo med grassland tortoise food that I will give him maybe once or twice a week. I also want to try some of the mazuri but haven't seen it anywhere. I am so amazed at how fast I have come to love this little guy. I love giving him his bath in the morning and at night and watching him eat. Just trying to give him a loving healthy home. So glad we decided to get a sulcata, even if they do require so much care :) Oh and I enjoy reading about and seeing photos of everyone elses torts.

Attachments

• DSC_0625.JPG
    DSC_0625.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0622.JPG
    DSC_0622.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 121

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Oh, you've got the baby tort fever. It's so wonderful to hear how owners fall in love with their babies. You no doubt have read the various threads on caring for baby torts. Congrats.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Yep, I guess I do :) My husband thinks its funny that I became so attached so fast. I just wish they did well in pairs. Would be fun to raise two. But I think one tort, 3 dogs, and a tank full of fish is plenty to keep me busy. lol I see you live in Florida, we live on the panhandle. It will be nice when it warms up and I can take my little "lawn mower" out for some sunshine ;)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Looks perfect and you live in the perfect climate to raise it. Lucky tort!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Beautiful sulcata. I'd love to watch this one grow...you got a handle on your husbandry...good job....thank you for sharing...

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Your setup looks good. I like that you can see the moisture (high humidity). The water dish looks to be a little too deep for a baby. They will walk through it and need to be able to get out of it easily. I like the little terracota dishes that go underneath plants for water dishes.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Beautiful sulcata. I'd love to watch this one grow...you got a handle on your husbandry...good job....thank you for sharing...

Thank you :) I'll post pictures as he gets bigger.

Dizisdalife said:
Your setup looks good. I like that you can see the moisture (high humidity). The water dish looks to be a little too deep for a baby. They will walk through it and need to be able to get out of it easily. I like the little terracota dishes that go underneath plants for water dishes.

Yeah I have been meaning to get the terracota dish but always forget. I have made sure that he can get in and out of the water dish I have in there now with no problems.

alita

5 Year Member
lovely! keep us posted. I will love watching him grow. I have two baby russians and as in love as you :)

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Ok so I am a little worried about my baby. I think the larger bin I had him in previously was to cold and now he has bubbles coming out of his nose. I am hoping that since I moved him to his new home and it is much warmer it will remedy the problem. He is alert and eating well so I will monitor him for now. So prayers for my little baby to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.