Cypress mulch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, UK
I really like the look of cypress mulch, and have read good things about it, and would like to use it in George's new tortoise table that we'll hopefully be building tomorrow. The thing is, garden centres don't sell it here in the UK, I can only find the Zoo Med bags, and 26l are the biggest bags. How many of those roughly would I need for his 5 x 2 foot tortoise table? They are quite expensive, so I'm thinking I may have to go with compost instead. I don't want to use sand this time, as he has soil and sand at the moment and the sand gets onto everything!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry no help I am horrible with numbers could you buy one see how much it covers and then go from there?

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thanks, I'm no good either! I'm guessing I'd need about 6 lol, and at 17 quid each, would be 102 quid eeek! Think I may have to go with the compost, as I can get big sacks cheaply. Can't find coconut coir in the UK either!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
coconut coir is also called bed a beast if that helps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have the same problem, Amber. We can't find it in big bags here on the US west coast either. I have purchased the smaller bags from the pet store, and believe me, they don't cover very much. See if you can find a product called orchid bark. The folks who grow orchids have to use a very clean product, with no fillers, pesticides or herbicides. So orchid bark (made from the bark of fir trees) is also a good substrate. Here in the states it comes in "fine," "medium" and "coarse" grade and I prefer the "fine" grade.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Coco coir Amber is probably sold in a small block in a pet store.....im in UK too....
I use cypress mulch for tiago the zoomed one! :p Can't find them in garden centres......Expensive for just a little(ish) bag! :p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If the good folk on the shelled warrior forums cannot help you find an acceptable local alternative, we can sure try to help. Can you send us a link to a large garden center we can look at and see if we can find something to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.