Eating Substrate? And another diet question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahc1272

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!
My sulcata is doing well, as far as I can tell.
Having read up on the whole pyramiding issue, I put him on a moister substrate, Zoomed ecoearth. Pretty amazing stuff, I put a couple of liters of water on a bucket, go out of the room. And I peek 5 minutes later expecting it barely to have absorbed some water, but it was HUGE!

Anyway: my tortoise likes waddling around in it, and he builds himself a nice burrow in the corner, etc But I'm worried that he's eating a few strands or flecks because he's not the neatest eater! Sometimes the leaves I give him end up on the other side of his enclosure~ It's not COVERED in coco dust/specks/flakes, but there is a bit on it and if he's chomping on it, there's no way he's not getting some in his system.
This was a concern of mine before getting the substrate, what do you guys think??

Another quick diet question:
I've given him mulberry leaves. He's not too enthusiastic about it. Anybody have any experience with this?
And how are sesame leaves?

Thanks
AC

ekm5015

5 Year Member
If he is eating a tiny bit of eco earth that is fine. As long as it is fully expanded. If not, it may expand inside the tort an become an issue. Otherwise coco coir is totally organic and not toxic...they will just poop it out.

No experience with mulberry leaves or sesame leaves so I can't offer any advice there.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I have given Tank Mulberry leaves and he ate them but he eats everything. I don't know anything about sesame leaves. I try to give them a lot of different things like rose of sharon leaves and blooms, cactus, hens & chicks, grape leaves, squash leaves & blooms and the squash, plantains (weed not fruit) carrot, pumpkin, dark leafy greens and of course lots of grass and weeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.