Enclosure with Outside Dimension Trays?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Just curious if anyone has ever built a tortie table using one of these "outside dimension (OD) trays." These are plastic grow trays using in hydroponics. My fiance recently found one from Botanicare: http://www.bghydro.com/hydroponics/plastic-grow-trays/od-black-grow-trays-by-botanicare.html

For rebuilding our Russian table, we were thinking of building the typical wooden tort table and putting one of these trays in the bottom so all the substrate is not just sitting on the wood, causing mold or otherwise eating away at the wood. No worries, there will still be the taller wood walls since Russians are escape artists! ;) We weren't exactly set on using Drylok to coat the insides (because of the chemicals) so now we're thinking these OD trays may be the best way to go. Has anyone had experience with these before?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just curious if anyone has ever built a tortie table using one of these "outside dimension (OD) trays." These are plastic grow trays using in hydroponics. My fiance recently found one from Botanicare: http://www.bghydro.com/hydroponics/plastic-grow-trays/od-black-grow-trays-by-botanicare.html

For rebuilding our Russian table, we were thinking of building the typical wooden tort table and putting one of these trays in the bottom so all the substrate is not just sitting on the wood, causing mold or otherwise eating away at the wood. No worries, there will still be the taller wood walls since Russians are escape artists! ;) We weren't exactly set on using Drylok to coat the insides (because of the chemicals) so now we're thinking these OD trays may be the best way to go. Has anyone had experience with these before?
Hi there.

I think the humidity may cause it to get damp under the tray. It may work against you and rot the wood under the tray faster.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hi there. I think the humidity may cause it to get damp under the tray. It may work against you and rot the wood under the tray faster.
Good thinking!! I will consider this! ;) Thank you for the advice.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Good thinking!! I will consider this! ;) Thank you for the advice.
This is just a thought. Could you build the sides the same size as your tray and fasten them to the tray by screwing up from under the lip of the tray into the sides. Your tray would be the bottom, not sat in a wooden enclosure.