Enclosure

Dunskis13

Hey everyone, me and my tortoise Chives both agree it's time for a bigger outdoor enclosure. So he can stretch his legs and eat more weeds. I have a 15x15 plot of him. And was curious of all the things I'd need for it and if it was big enough for a second Hermann for him to attempt to be friends with but wind up ignoring like he does me half the time. Any ideas?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Forget getting a second Hermann's unless you intend to keep it completely separately.

Torts are loners in the wild; they meet up to mate and move on. They don't need, want or particularly like company and they don't get lonely.

In the confines of captivity a group of 3 or more may work in a large outdoor enclosure with plenty of sight barriers, but there are no guarantees. With pairs you have a bullying problem that will result in the decline of one.

In any case any new tort would have to be kept entirely separately in quarantine for a good 6 months.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Yeah, what mum said. Tortoises are solitary and territorial. Your existing tortoise will fight to chase a new tortoise out of his territory.

Dunskis13

Some species do live in groups correct? I know yellow foots and red foots are such. Wasn't sure if Hermanns were as well. I've actually had an account on here prior but I couldn't access it now so that's why I have this one.

I am not new to owning tortoises, I've had an Eastern for roughly 13 years and a Hermann for roughly a year. I'm still learning about Hermanns but Easterns I am very knowledgeable. I know Hermanns eat weeds mostly and there are some plants I can plant I've had in a previous enclosure but I am interested in what would be things to add to make the enclosure better. If I did get another Hermann I would get a group because I know duos are not the best I was just stating the enclosure may or may not have another resident or two.

That's not the point however, I am not focused on the tortoise number, as I know they don't get lonely they are mostly solitary creatures. What I am asking is about extra things to add to the new enclosure. Ideas to make it better than the run of the mill enclosure. I already know what I am doing with the walls and chicken wire removable roof so no large birds of prey may get in, nor other animals in general. I know a lot about caring for my Hermann but as I've only had him for a year there are still things I do not know perfectly and that is what I am looking for.

Thank you,
Jacob

Dunskis13

And before anyone mentions it because I've been on here long enough I know they will. Yes I keep the Hermann and Eastern in separate enclosures both outside and in. I am just mentioning the eastern so you know I am not new to owning a tortoise.

Rue

Canada
..., I've had an Eastern for roughly 13 years and a Hermann for roughly a year.

I don't have any answers...I'm still very new to tortoises (for a whole 2 months!)...I have a one (and only!) baby Hermann's. :)

I'm confused as to which two species you have? I have an Eastern Hermann's. There is also a Western Hermann's and a Dalmation Hermann's.

But they are all Hermann's...just different subspecies.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
15x15 feet? Meters?

I'm confused as to which two species you have?
I guess Eastern and Western (which are called testudo hermanni hermanni). Are Dalmatians an approved subspecies?

Rue

Canada
As far as I know...but there might be a 4th, I'm not certain. As it stands now:

1. Western Hermann's tortoise (Testudo hermanni hermanni) - the nominal species
2. Eastern Hermann's tortoise (Testudo hermanni boettgeri ) - most commonly found
3. Dalmatian tortoise (Testudo hermanni. hercegovinensis)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What I am asking is about extra things to add to the new enclosure. Ideas to make it better than the run of the mill enclosure. I already know what I am doing with the walls and chicken wire removable roof so no large birds of prey may get in, nor other animals in general. I know a lot about caring for my Hermann but as I've only had him for a year there are still things I do not know perfectly and that is what I am looking for.

Thank you,
Jacob

As far as what you'll need in the enclosure, some plants. Tortoises like to feel safe under the plants, plus it gives them a visual barrier and makes the enclosure feel bigger because they can't see the whole space. Maybe a little hill to climb and a big rock to have to walk around. A little puddle he can climb in and out of and a piece of broken cement to eat off of.

What is your old username? I'll ask Josh to combine the two accounts into this one.

Dunskis13

As far as what you'll need in the enclosure, some plants. Tortoises like to feel safe under the plants, plus it gives them a visual barrier and makes the enclosure feel bigger because they can't see the whole space. Maybe a little hill to climb and a big rock to have to walk around. A little puddle he can climb in and out of and a piece of broken cement to eat off of.

What is your old username? I'll ask Josh to combine the two accounts into this one.

The old username was Jacobjtd, it's perfectly all right though, all I had on there was a lot of Hermann questions.