Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Is it possible or advisable to freeze their food such as the lettuce, weeds, cactus pads and such to keep it longer? In other words if I want to buy a bulk quantity of romaine lettuce and other veggies they can have is there a way to store it long term.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some do better than others. This was talked about a while back. I can't remember all that was said. But search the topic in the TFO search bar and I should come up. Sorry I don't remember it:D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It's possible, I don't do it with my tortoises, but I used to with iguanas. When you thaw it, it's kinda soggy - not very appetizing looking. But they never complained. :)

Now that I think about it, it kinda resembles canned spinach.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Some do better than others. This was talked about a while back. I can't remember all that was said. But search the topic in the TFO search bar and I should come up. Sorry I don't remember it:D

Ok will do :) I figured it would be easier to freeze but if not oh well fresh is better anyway :D

Thanks guys! I'm just trying to come at this from all angles before I get my sully babies :D I've probably "talked" ArizonaSulcata's ear off lol I suppose it's better to have asked to many questions than not enough in my opinion :D :D :D

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
DanaLachney said:
Ok will do :) I figured it would be easier to freeze but if not oh well fresh is better anyway :D

Thanks guys! I'm just trying to come at this from all angles before I get my sully babies :D I've probably "talked" ArizonaSulcata's ear off lol I suppose it's better to have asked to many questions than not enough in my opinion :D :D :D

No you haven't! I love getting questions from forum members! Your going to be an awesome Sulcata owner! Seriously though, love the questions!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I tried this with carrot stems...
They dont thawe out right well...almost like mush! :)

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
Hi...
The best way to keep live plant material fresh is to keep it on ice... set your freezer to 32-30. Most plant material will keep for 2-3 months... I freeze grape and mulberry leaves at the end of our growing season (Nov-Dec) I still have fresh leaves today...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you dont feed romaine, he cant eat it,, and he will eventually eat the other food.. try Spring Mix.
for hay,, its better to use grass hay. Orchard, Timothy, or Bermuda.

Status
Not open for further replies.