General sulcata care

Krhoh

I have had several bad experiences with owning baby sulcatas. I have read several bad reviews from the place I got my tortoises after I already purchased them, however I need any advice as to what I may be doing wrong assuming it was not the breeder. I had a 20 gallon long glass tank which I have heard is good and bad from several different people and their preferences. The himidity was between 60-80% during the day but i tried to keep it as high as possible, UVB bulb was on during the day, daytime temperatures were between 85-95 and nighttime temperatures were between 75-85 (depending on the temperature of my home). A basking spot was available under a 100 watt basking bulb, along with a hide log on the other end of the enclousure. Soaks were given every other day and fresh water was always available. My tortoises were taken outside almost everyday as weather permitted, and they were fed a mixture of greens (romaine lettuce, kale, clovers, grass, spring mix, etc) pellets, and occasionally small amounts of vegetables which they didn't really care for. Was I doing anything that would have cause my tortoises to become ill and pass away? I have done lots of research beforehand and I never found a problem with how I was taking care of them. Any other opinions on my tortoise care are greatly appreciated, and hopefully in the future I will not have any more bad experiences.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I recommend soaking babies daily for about 15 minutes. Also, I wouldn't allow the night temp to get below 78F or so. Personally, I like to keep it about 80F. I use a black light for night heat, but most of our members here favor the CHE (ceramic heat emitter). My UVB bulb preference is the Mercury Vapor Bulb. For SURE do not use the new compact fluorescent bulbs. I keep my baby habitats covered because my house is cold and that cold air rushes in if you leave it uncovered.