Give me your insite on my set-up please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderlord247

5 Year Member
I have just got my new setups arranged for my leopards and I think they love it! I used a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub and put 3" of cypress/sphagnum moss moistened with extra miss under the heatlight. I have a water dish in it so they can soak when they please and drink. I gave fresh dandelion greens available all day because they love to graze on them when their outside in better weather. I feed twice a day morning feeding is kale/dandelion/field grass. And night time is mazuri mixed with some kale and cactus. I use a 24"UVB bulb that I fixed to the top of the inside of the lid and cut the headlight side out if the lid. It stays around 77-82deg by the water and food and as you get to the heatlight it goes up to 88 and underneath the headlight it's 100. Stays very humid in the entire tub but I leave one corner dry just invade they want it. Please give me your advice and comments because it can only make me a better keeper!!! I rescued these leopards from someone that kept them on paper towel in a very dry and hot enclosure and only fed them that rainbow tortoise diet.. Nothing more!! And never soaked them. There between 1and 1.5 years old with alot of pyramiding, but there safe now.

Attachments

• image-1378705886.png
    image-1378705886.png
    888.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2244383398.png
    image-2244383398.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1139618933.png
    image-1139618933.png
    766.5 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3362799820.png
    image-3362799820.png
    718.5 KB · Views: 49
  • image-1652950897.png
    image-1652950897.png
    789.5 KB · Views: 54

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Great looking setup and better looking torts!!!! But one thing I would do is not feed kale as often (like once a week because they can cause goiters). Also I would soak them for 5-10 minutes every day including what they get from their water bowl in the enclosure to smooth those shells out.

spiderlord247

5 Year Member
Yeah I give them soaks very often and hope that in a few years they will start to have lots of new smooth growth! I do use kale a little too often cause it keeps so long before it's wilty, but I very often use mostly my dandelion leafs and grips of tall blades if grass from my field that they love!

Do alot of people use rubbermaid tubs as enclosures? I use them cause there not expensive and they come in many different sizes and seem to hold humidity much better than tortoise tables. For the little ones I use a tortoise Table with a humid hide, but seems to be harder to make a humid hide in a table for the larger tortoises. I just like seeing if anyone else would do it the same way I did?

EKLC

5 Year Member
Looks good and torts are beautiful. I would give them a hide or two

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I use the rubbermaid tubs too because those are what have been the best for me for keeping humidity and temperature in. And with everything your doing now they should be relatively smooth adults. I have seen far worse pyramiding in other tortoises that turned out to be relatively smooth as adults.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would also not include the kale as a daily part of the diet. It does have some beneficial properties, but there are better things they could eat daily.

Looks good!

Status
Not open for further replies.