Growing Food

EricW

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
Some will, but will not do well. One thing you could do is grow the seeds in an area in your yard or in some pots. Then pull the plants from there and feed them to your tortoise. Also, your Russian will end up eating those seedlings that sprouted before they can grow up and/or trample them. In outdoor enclosures, I partition off a section of the enclosure to plant and grow the seeds, then when the time is right, I remove the partition.

In the spring, the Testudo mix takes off, I am usually able to have it grow out before my tortoises have really woken up from the winter. Then I have a plethora of food in the spring for them. By summer, most is eaten, trampled, or succumbed to the Texas heat. Some of the seeds in the mix do not do well in Texas heat. I do not attempt to grow that mix during summers like we are having now. Usually take a break from it from June - mid Sept. Depends on how the summer is going. I switch over to other plants that do well in Texas heat like the various hibiscus, Rose of Sharon, ruellia, coreopsis, prickly pear, sedum, coneflower, etc.

Tortoisesarecool

Converse Texas United States
Another Texan keeper! I cant grow in the yard because my mom sprays for pests but I do have a bunch of tiny clay pots. Can I use any potting soil or will certain brands make the plants toxic for her? I was also planning to buy some cactus from the same website will I have to prepare those at all?

EricW

Houston, TX
Plain soil is all you want to grow the seeds in. You can even just use dirt from the yard. The more plain and natural, the better. Definately nothing with fertilizer in it.

For the cactus pads, just rinse off and feed. You can stick one two in dirt and grow your own. My cactus pads grow fairly quickly.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I built a greenhouse so I could grow my own food. Right now I have a healthy crop of endive, escarole, rose of Sharon cuttings, corn stalks, summer squash, and chicory. I could never plant seeds near him cuz they'd never stand a chance! Instead, I grow everything organically in pots and harvest when ready. He's already partaken in a really good summer squash yield!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Another Texan keeper! I cant grow in the yard because my mom sprays for pests but I do have a bunch of tiny clay pots. Can I use any potting soil or will certain brands make the plants toxic for her? I was also planning to buy some cactus from the same website will I have to prepare those at all?

If you are growing in pots or planters, a potting mix is better than topsoil. Something intended to grow vegetables shouldn't be toxic. You can buy or just make your own.

Peat or coir as a base
Compost as fertilizer
Can also add castings

Add more compost or castings if/when you replant

EricW

Houston, TX
If you are growing in pots or planters, a potting mix is better than topsoil. Something intended to grow vegetables shouldn't be toxic. You can buy or just make your own.

Peat or coir as a base
Compost as fertilizer
Can also add castings

Add more compost or castings if/when you replant
The idea of not using fertilizer and compost is the general thought that "weeds" should be fed to tortoise that are low in nutrients (notrogen, potassium, and phosphorous). Essentially, the plants should be grown in poor soil. Top soil is not poor soil, but not as nutrient dense as fertilized soil. You don't want to grow plants in N-P-K rich soils for tortoises. It is not good for them. The seed mix will do just fine in normal top soil. They grow great for me in plain dirt with no issue. I use the same seed mix as described.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You don't want to grow plants in N-P-K rich soils for tortoises. It is not good for them.

Would love to see something substantive supporting this idea. By saying it's 'not good for them', that would almost require proactive steps to prevent it.

Essentially, the plants should be grown in poor soil. Top soil is not poor soil, but not as nutrient dense as fertilized soil.

'Topsoil' is not the same anywhere. What are the nutrient thresholds for a soil to be considered poor, and is there one for it to be considered 'too' poor to use?

The seed mix will do just fine in normal top soil. They grow great for me in plain dirt with no issue. I use the same seed mix as described.

How many successive plantings do you use the topsoil for before replacing?