Hatchling advice

Marginated.Oakley

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi tortoise lovers!! I have a baby marginated tortoise around 5 months old who is a good eater and very active most of the day. I am not concerned about their health but I have a small question. I clipped their nails a few days ago so they weren’t too long, but I am wondering if anyone ever trims their beak? Mine has a little overhang and sometimes bites down on the beak. I am asking for advice on this and if there is anything to do for the beak care. Thank you!!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Nail trims are generally unnecessary, especially in hatchlings as young as five months. You also run the risk of clipping into the living part of the nail, or "quick" which can also draw blood and be painful.

Beak trims usually only necessary for adult tortoises that have been fed the wrong diet for years and years. You can definitely find images on this forum of tortoises that have required beak trims. Slightly overgrown beaks have been seen to disappear after a few months of being fed a proper diet.

Does your tortoise have some kind of jaw deformity (under/overbite)?

What are you feeding your marginated?

In general, you don't need to be doing these kinds of trimming, especially at this point.

Marginated.Oakley

California
Thank you for your response! I noticed that the nail had a large extension of nail which was not the quick which is why I chose to trim it. My tort seems happier because would often not be able to walk well with such long nails and I was worried it would scratch itself. I feed mostly green leafy foods such as kale (oakley’s favorite), romaine on occasion, spring mix, and I’ve offered alfalfa hay and wheat grass. I’ve had luck with zucchini the one time I fed that but I haven’t had luck with fruit so far aside from a small amount of strawberry. I am looking for more edible plants to put in the enclosure. Oakley enjoys basking in the natural sunlight and loves soaks after being outside. I’m trying to learn more and more so I can have a healthy tortoise!! Thank you!!

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Good idea thank you! Is it safe to feed this? I don’t want to overdose the calcium

From everything I've been reading, its a great source of calcium for the torts and it allows them to take as much as they need. I'm read on some sites that people don't use the calcium powder as often once they add a cuttlebone but there are other far more experienced tort-owners on here that could give you first hand knowledge.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Yes it's a common practice to leave a cuttlebone in the enclosure in case they want some calcium. They don't always eat it however.

You can skip the fruit, it's not good for their digestive system. Species such as Redfoot are the main fruit eaters. Zucchini should only be fed occasionally as well. Try to work in more endive, escarole, bok choy if you can.

There's a whole section of the forum related to diet with more info on what you can feed from a grocery store.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Read this thread as well. The tortoise in your profile pic is in the process of pyramiding:

Marginated.Oakley

California
Thank you so much!! I’m still learning and I’m happy to have found this forum!! I appreciate both of your guys’ help so much! Have a nice day!! Oakley enjoys bok Choy already which is good!!