Hello and Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosieposie

5 Year Member
Good Morning. I am brand new to this forum and I already have many thanks to give to you all. I have a hatchling leopard, Rosie (already nicknamed Rosieposie), who over the last several days has not been doing well at all. After reading many posts on critical care, environment and feeding, while I am furious at the breeder I purchased from, I finally feel that I am on the right track. Please keep us in your thoughts over the next few days as I get Rosie back to her sweet self. As an aside, we live in North Texas.

Thank you again to all who have taken the time to post such detailed and information filled posts.

Tracie & Rosie

Meet Rosie.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here.
How long have you had him?
has he been eating at all?

rosieposie

5 Year Member
I purchased her in February, and until two days ago, she was active, eating, drinking and happy. I have an indoor tank for her with a hiding spot that she sleeps in, a water dish she loves, and until this morning her substrate was timothy hay. Also, we have an outdoor enclosure that has plenty of sunshine, shady spots, edible flowers, grass & weeds as well as a water dish. She loves it outside! A couple of days ago she stopped moving around much and yesterday just stayed still with her eyes closed all day.

This morning I soaked her in a warm bath mixed with with critical care food powder (I received this from our vet when I took her in for our first visit in February. They mentioned it was good to have around with such young torts). I also changed the substrate to moist coconut coir and added additional heat to keep it the temp in the high 80's instead of the low 80's I had it at. At this point, I have her inside in her hiding spot partially covered with moist coir. The temp is close to 90 and humidity is at 70%. She won't even stick her head out at this point.

So this is where we are at. I plan on letting her rest today and this afternoon soaking her again in a warm bath with critical care food. I will pick up some baby food carrots today to soak her in as was suggested by another post.

Thank you for your post.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tracie:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

What kind of UV light are you using?

rosieposie

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Tracie:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

What kind of UV light are you using?

I am using a Zoo Med Powersun UV 100W for daytime and Zoo Med Red nighttime light at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How far above the substrate is the light? It should be at the LEAST 12".

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the FOrum!
I am also raising 2 Leopard Hatchlings I got in February, in Northern Texas (Garland, Dallas Metroplex)

Sounds like you are doing all you can. I would however check her outdoor Enclosure for any plants that might be poisonous and in bloom... At this age, They like ALL the preety flowers, even the bad ones!

rosieposie

5 Year Member
I am so sad to report that late yesterday evening we lost Rosie. I tried everything I could think of and unfortunately my best did not work. I am heartbroken (my whole family is) and I still can't believe how fast she went down.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post yesterday. I appreciate your encouragement and help.

RIP to the sweetest little thing I have ever seen - RosiePosie.

Attachments

• Meet Rosie.JPG
    Meet Rosie.JPG
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 6

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry, Tracie. Sometimes its just really hard to save those little ones once they get sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.