Hi From Canada

SpaceTort

Hi just recently got my first lil tort, A super outgoing baby hermann named Mulder! Also the owner of a lovely 2 year old Corn snake name Spinelli!

:tort:Anyways hello all!:tort:

IMG_1917.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to you and your cute chum :)

Please read the following TFO guides written by species experts that are working hard to correct the misinformation widely available on the Internet and from pet stores and, sadly, perpetuated by some breeders and vets too

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann's Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Care of baby Russians (applies to Hermann's too)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Pictures of your enclosure and lighting will help us to get things set up perfect for your new friend :)

SpaceTort

Hey those were great little threads to read ! Thankfully I don't think I'm actually doing any of the beginners mistakes :) Also that Hermann's care guide is actually where I got a fair amount of info prior to buying little muldy! Thank you though definitely worth the reread!

SpaceTort

Also heres a pic of his enclosure, I know that the glass isn't optimal but I'm gunna cover it with plastic background once it arrives in the mail. It's 36x18 and contains plantation soil as the main substrate with a bit of moist sphagnum moss under his rock for moisture. (One odd thing tho he rarely enters his hide and mostly sleeps under the dirt, is this okay, is there anything I can do to make it more inviting?) Finally the temp gradient I've managed to achieve is 38 Celsius under basking zone and around 21-23 on the cool side. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464454182.530093.jpg

Rue

Canada
Looks almost identical to my set-up! I have the same enclosure. But I lined the sides with plywood. Warmer and not as distressing.

I tried to reuse some of my pet stuff too - used with previous animals (of various sorts) too. But it didn't work.

Trade your water dish for a terra cotta saucer - that you sink into the substrate, or a similar dish. Just make sure yours can't flip over in it. Mine did. So I use a small dish filled with pebbles for water (although mine is almost big enough I can take the pebbles out and provide a bigger dish). I feed mine on an overturned terra cotta dish, but I can probably turn it upright again now that she's grown more.

I'm not sure what your tortoise decoration is for.

The 'rock/hut' won't work, the opening is too small. I'm using a half-log...and mine has almost outgrown that, so I need to get her a bigger one.

It's fine if they sleep in the substrate.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The obvious things that I pick up on are that there appears to be some sort of screen on top that the lights shine through. This will severely reduce the effectiveness of the UVB.

Also the food and water bowls are a tipping hazard.

Use a terracotta plant saucer for water. Put food on a flat rock or slate. As he eats he will naturally abrade his beak and this helps to reduce overgrowth.

Some plants will give your tort something to nibble on and provide some cover so he doesn't feel so exposed. Sink pots into the substrate rather than trying to grow them directly in the substrate. That way they grow better and you can swap them out easily as they get past their best.

SpaceTort

Wow great tips guys I'm gunna cut the mesh out of the way of his UVB light I think, I had no idea it would mess with it. Also good idea on the terracotta I was noticing he was having some slight troubles getting in and out there. Also yep for sure gunna get some plant coverage in there as soon as some of my seedlings mature a bit! Loving how involved you guys are here!

SpaceTort

Updated photo:ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465015297.534838.jpg
I took out the steps which were way too big for him, replaced with a rock for feeding, cut a piece of the screen out to stop any interference with the uv rays, and finally planted a little wheatgrass for him to hide under.

:)

Rue

Canada
If that's a compact florescent bulb...you may want to get rid of it. They appear to cause eye damage in some animals. If you use a MVB you'll need a stand for it. It has to hang straight (not angled).

Regardless, the clip on types of lights are not very secure and are a fire hazard in my opinion.

The MVB are also very very hot. You'll have to take extra care with one of those too. I've had to move (raise and lower)/check mine daily as the summer temperatures are fluctuating. I can't believe how quickly it gets too hot at the substrate level.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hey those were great little threads to read ! Thankfully I don't think I'm actually doing any of the beginners mistakes :) Also that Hermann's care guide is actually where I got a fair amount of info prior to buying little muldy! Thank you though definitely worth the reread!
That's good news.:)

And a warm welcome to the forum to you and your gorgeous tort!;)