Hibiscus & Ants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. Oregon
I've got 5 Rose of Sharon Hibiscus growing to help feed my Redfoots and I was wnodering if any of you have the same problem with ants. As soon as there are buds on the plant, the ants come. You can not pick a flower off without getting at least 20-30 ants on you. Whats funny is that I also have 3 hardy Hibiscus which are planted in-between the Sharons and they don't have any ants.

I would post a video of it but then all you you would think there's ants on you. :D

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
Don't seem to have that problem here in Texas. I wonder if it's a species unique to your area?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Well, they are the little ones like I've seen anywhere in the US.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
I went outside and checked each Hibiscus closely and didn't see any. I have six of different types in their pen. Maybe someone else will know what they are.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I could always go out and grab a bloom and show you what they are and how many. My wife can't stand it when I do that and end up with ants all over my hand :)

Of course I'll have to wait until one opens up. Maybe I just have a lot of ants in my yard. :(

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I always get ants on my hibiscus. Not as many as you, just a few but they are always there. I do have a lot of ants in my yard.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ants usually go onto a plant because they keep their herd of aphids on that plant. Have you noticed any little green sticky bugs on the tree?

Yvonne

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I haven't looked that close yet but I can. I don't think there is anything I can spray the plants with that wouldn't hurt the torts even if there are bugs.

Shawn and Dianne

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lakeland, FL
I have a ton of ants on my hibiscus here in Florida too, I just rinse the flowers and leaves off with water before feeding them to my sulcata. They aren't fire ants, so I just leave them be.

Dianne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Chucky they are more than likely to be after the aphids or Dew.
Here is a site for getting rid of them.
http://www.strictlyhibiscus.com/care.html
If they are after the dew. I would place some watered down honey just a bit on some oatmeal or cornmeal and dry it out again. Then sprinkle it around the base. When they eat it they will explode.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
From what I see, they are after the bloom itself. I can see the ants going up and down the stems but they go directly for the bloom inside the bud. When it opens, it is just full of ants.

Anyway, I'll take a look at that link and also try that oatmeal/honey tip. I wonder if I can video them exploding :)

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Ok, I'll try the water and soap thing also and see what that does. Maybe the Aphids are inside the bud. I'll get them :)

Thanks for the tips everyone

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
If they are going into the bud they are probably after the dew-it is sweet - The water and soap thing does work. Also I don't think you can video them exploding (hehe) because they go back to the nest and do this they also take it back to the nest, feed it to the queen so she can explode also, then by,by ants, or so I have been told.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Ahh too bad, I'd love to see those pesky things meet their demise :)

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
In my Garden, I get ants going after the squash plants ( flowers ) . The Soap and Water things works temporarily but the cornmeal works awesome. The ants are usually after the Aphids. Go to your local nursery and pick up Lady Bugs. They eat the aphids.

I know in the summer, were ever there is water or sugar, the ants are there. They love nectar.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
You know what Mongo, Earlier this year when the Hibiscus first got their leaves, Ladybugs were all over the place but now they're gone when I need them :(

I know of 2 places that did sell them, I'll have to go see if they still have any.

Status
Not open for further replies.