Housing a Sulcata outside year-round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
I'm currently moving houses so setting up a place for my sulcata indoors is not an option right now. I am literally taking care of my torts all day because they live at my work. My 2 year old desert tortoise has lived here a year and I have seen her do so well and grow very fast. I know sulcatas and desert tortoises are not the same but I love how great she's doing out here.

Once I settle into my new home maybe I can find a place for my sulcata indoors but it won't happen for a while. For the meantime he or she will definitely have to stay outside under my constant protection and care.

I do appreciate the information.

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
Walter, Dakota, and Wildchild,

Ok Tom, I have the 6 hatchlings inside set up, and the 6 hatchlings outside. Now what ? lol, just kidding. I do not know anything about them more than what I have been reading and studying and info from experienced peeps like yourself. I definitely see the point in a solid stable indoor controlled area. My specific question concerns humidity. I read a good article recently that explains the importance of high humidity and preventing pyramiding etc. Even a study that high protein diets will not cause pyramiding if the torts are kept in water or very high humidity. So if you have AC on in the house, how do you maintain a high humidity unless your habitat is completely enclosed.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Housing a Sulcata outside year-round.

WalterSulcata said:
So if you have AC on in the house, how do you maintain a high humidity unless your habitat is completely enclosed.

Exactly why so many of us use "closed chamber" enclosures. ;)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!
Team Gomberg said:
WalterSulcata said:
So if you have AC on in the house, how do you maintain a high humidity unless your habitat is completely enclosed.

Exactly why so many of us use "closed chamber" enclosures. ;)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Do you have a pic you could share. Thanks.

dakotanivens

5 Year Member
Cape Coral, FL
Other than the coconut substrate, what are some good alternatives? I read that a good sandy/soil mixture is good.. but I also read that pellets were good on another site, as well. XD Opinions about this would be awesome.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
dakotanivens said:
Other than the coconut substrate, what are some good alternatives? I read that a good sandy/soil mixture is good.. but I also read that pellets were good on another site, as well. XD Opinions about this would be awesome.

I like to use clean dirt from my yard. Although, I've been debating on switching to coco coir.
Some use sand/soil with a small sand ratio. Others prefer to stay away from sand all together.
Some people like pellets, I don't. Especially if you use moisture and humidity. The pellets with mold.

A link to the thread detailing closed chambers. Many members share pictures here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

dakotanivens

5 Year Member
Cape Coral, FL
Yeah, here in Florida, the soil is like a black soil mixed with sand.. ratio is different between the two depending from place to place.. but I will try and find some with more black in it.

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!
I use a 100% red clay based soil. It maintains moisture very well and is easy for the torts to dig in and keep cool and moist.

Tom said:
Walter, Where are you with this perfect weather 24/7. I know of no place on earth with such a perfect climate. Hawaii? Somewhere in the Philippines maybe? What about your night time lows? Do you have winter there?
Hello, please don’t take me wrong, I don’t mean to imply I know the perfect climates for torts, as I am a definite newbie. Just trying to learn. The climate I live in is far from perfect from a human point of view as the heat and humidity are constant and unrelenting daily norms... But as I stated , my climate is unusual, and yes I am in the Philippines. I have my tort box, outside in the shade, covered with a porch like room outside. The box is 4 x 4 ft. filled with red clay dirt, moistened. I have a rock shelter , water etc. I have a 60 watt metal work light attached to the box to use if it seams the temps will dip close to 80 at night, but it has not yet dropped below 84 at night. The daytime highs are 95 in the shade and the lows around 84. I walk him regularly in full sun on the warm jungle floor. Temps around 100-110 as I measured, but he seams to really like the heat and humidity, and will walk forever as he seams to really like to walk.. The humidity is always high, close to 80 % year round. The reason I keep Walter in his box is to prevent rain and excess sunshine on him at this age. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.