How big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abclements

5 Year Member
How big does Franklin need to be to not need a cover in his outdoor day time enclosure? All I really have to worry about is pigeons... he's on a balcony outside my apt well out of reach of any ground animals.

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

abclements

5 Year Member
I should probably mention that I don't want a top so I can get some larger shade type plants to put in there for him...

That's kinda what I was thinking too! Lol I'm definitely not super concerned about them but just a thought... I mean in Monty python, a 1# swallow can carry a 3# coconut over large stretches of land lol

mttrhll

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
If pigeons are around you can bet there are hawks too. I'd get some metal screening material to keep Franklin safe regardless of size.

A hawk may never be a problem... but better safe than sorry. I live in ohio and last week i saw a hawk of some type going after baby ducks in the water... never seen anything like that in person before.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Red-tailed, Swainson's, Rough-legged, and Goshawks can kill rabbit-sized prey (just to name a few, there are many more than this). If we talk eagles, it's a whole different game. Personally, I'd retain that cover until the tortoise is at least 8-9 inch SCL.

The cover also aids against racoons, feral dogs & cats, etc. As much as you may dislike it, I'd error on the side of caution.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are other ways to dissuade birds as well, like hanging black threads around that they can see and will avoid. You can Google ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.