How did they become illegal?

genetic_code

Location (City and/or State)
Delhi
I recently got two ISTs probably around 2-3 years old. I have been doing everything possible to keep them safe and healthy.
But as we all know it's illegal to have them as a pet in India. Does anyone know why exactly? Is it the exotic pet trade to other countries or our own? As there are no vets available here, is it better to not own any of them?
It's just a mental conflict. Please share your knowledge and opinions. [emoji51]

genetic_code

Delhi
So aren't we as a owner of these tortoises contributing to this problem? I don't mean to look down upon anyone who has a tortoise but I keep on thinking about doing the right thing.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The trade in illegal pets is fuelled by demand. If there was no demand they would be left in the wild where they belong.

Those removed from the wild can never be returned and their genetic variation is removed from the gene pool of the wild population which further decreases the wild population's chance of survival.

My gut feeling is that few of these tortoises removed from the wild are actually properly cared for as well. So they die and people just get another... even more demand.

So yes, people keeping them illegally as pets is making matters worse.

Then there's the huge problem with damage to the environment in which these torts should live in the wild. Until humans learn to look after this fragile planet of ours then the future is bleak for many species

Strawb

Dubai
Most of the tortoises are appendix II in the CITES database.

Geochelone Elegans, Testudo Graeca, Centrochelys Sulcata just to name a few.

So does this mean its illegal to keep a captive bred specie which does not have a export or re-expost permit?

What if you want to relocate countries? Is there any way to get the export re-export permits required to transport your pet animals?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Most of the tortoises are appendix II in the CITES database.

Geochelone Elegans, Testudo Graeca, Centrochelys Sulcata just to name a few.

So does this mean its illegal to keep a captive bred specie which does not have a export or re-expost permit?

What if you want to relocate countries? Is there any way to get the export re-export permits required to transport your pet animals?
It depends on where you live ... and if you move on where you are moving to.

Getting any animal into the UK is expensive and requires certification proving that it's captive bred. Wild caught tortoises of any species may not be sold in the UK and we have no native species

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I spoke with some Indian conservation biologists about this topic. When CITES was being formed there was much mis-information about the goal, and each country ran with it in their own way. India was one of the more draconian participants and to this day is very restrictive on the export of anything, even the feces of animals that are protected (the DNA they contain are 'that species'). Spent egg shells etc. This even frustrates Indian scientists who want to participate in cross boarder research.

The US is not much different. Maybe the permit process actual allows more things to go out, but the documentation is still rigorous.

I spoke with a few people who might actually have the ear of legislators in India, and as those who 'farm/harvest' are of one socio-economic standing versus law enforcement, there is no will to bring sense to the situation and allow a regulated enterprise. It's a kind of class prejudice.

genetic_code

Delhi
Thank you all with your knowledgeable insights to the matter. I guess it's illegal for the right reasons in India and I hope the situation of these tortoises get better in coming future.
Also, I can't give up on my tortoises now because I love them way too much. Maybe I just have to keep them protected from the world.