How to get rid of mosquitos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
Hello All! I finally finished the miniature pond in the redfoot enclosure and I have been trying to figure out how to keep mosquitos from laying larvae in the water but with no success. I am sure this has come up b4 but i cant recall the post so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jrcrist4 said:
Hello All! I finally finished the miniature pond in the redfoot enclosure and I have been trying to figure out how to keep mosquitos from laying larvae in the water but with no success. I am sure this has come up b4 but i cant recall the post so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Buy some cheap feeder gold fish from the pet store. They'll eat the larvae. Here in CAlif. you can call the Mosquito abatement district and they'll bring you a bucket of free mosquito fish.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I know they make these little "donuts" that float in the water and kill the larvae, and they are cat and dog friendly... But tort friendly, I donno... A tort would probably try and eat it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Minnows are the same as the Mosquito fish.. if you dont drain your pond, then the fish will work. otherwise you will just have to clean it every few days.. or find a non toxic thing to use.. I think Oil in the water works.. suffocates the larvae with they come up to breath...
the fish... you only need a few.. they multiply fast.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The donuts Jordan speaks of are Bacillus thuringiennsis israelensis. This biological control is safe for all animals except mosquitoes. I have been using it for years in standing water sources. Works great. It is available at nurseries that have organic section in both the donut form and a powder form.

Status
Not open for further replies.