Humidity question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caboose

5 Year Member
Temp and humidity.

In my indoor closed enclosure what should the temp and humidity be in the hole tank?

My Sulcata Michelangelo[TURTLE]
and my RedFoot Raphael [TURTLE]

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
RE: Temp and humidity.

Basking spot: 90-92
Ambient: 82 IMO is perfect but anywhere between 80-85
Cool spots: 75
Humidity: 70% min, ideal is 85-90%
Night should be around 75

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland

http://www.tortoiselibrary.com

Feel free to look over the link above. It has amazing information for redfoots as well as other species. Basking (if used) should be 90-92, hot end in the upper 80's, cool end 80, ambient in the mid 80's. Humidity should be 80% or more.

Caboose

5 Year Member
Temp and humidity.

What is IMO

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan

Not sure if your asking specifically for your redfoot or your sully but,I keep my sully pretty warm. Not familiar with red foots but right now my hot spot is 115 and it fades out to 80-83 degrees. 80 degree nights and VERY humid.. 90% or more. Thats just me though.. maybe do a search on here and see what you can find...

IMO= In my opinion :)

Caboose

5 Year Member
Temp and humidity.

How do u make it colder at night???
Also do you have more than one thermometer and humidity reader in your enclosure?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Temp and humidity.

Caboose said:
How do u make it colder at night???
Also do you have more than one thermometer and humidity reader in your enclosure?

Keep a CHE on thermostat for a set low temperature of say, 80F. When the lights turn off at night the temp will drop. Having a CHE set to a thermostat will keep the temps from dropping too low. Too low can make your tort sick.

I keep 4 thermometers in my enclosure. 3 in the corners and 1 in the center with a hydrometer.

Sent from my TFOapp

Caboose

5 Year Member
Sooo i recently bought a repti fogger Terrarium Humidifier and right now i have both my baby Redfoot and my baby sulcata in the same tank because im building 2 4ft by 4 ft indoor enclosures for them but it won't be done for another week. Sooo my Redfoot like to hide under his log so i put the pipe that puts out the fog right behind him and its on max power is this ok?ImageUploadedByTortForum1376443065.817533.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376443078.324218.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376443096.443637.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376443106.328680.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your temperatures need to On the money pumping that much humidity in that small tank .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's probably okay. However, make sure the substrate does not get soak for the RF. they are more prone to shell rot.
More important though is that species should never be mixed. Even though yours require about the same care, they would not be exposed to the same diseases. Therefore, they would not have built up immunities and could then catch something from each other and get very sick or die. Play it safe and separate them and do not house them together inside or outside.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Putting a sulcata hatchling with a redfoot hatchling sounds like trouble to me. Both require humidity for smooth growth, but their overall environmental requirements are very different. Less so as hatchlings, but I wouldn't put them together, period.

For my redfoot, I run my humidity at 80-90% on the cool (80-82ºF), dark side and at least 70% on the warm (84-86ºF), bright side.

I can't say if those conditions would work well for your sulcata that is sharing the enclosure with the redfoot right now...good luck with that...

Caboose

5 Year Member
I moved the tube to the top right of the tank and the humidity is riseing it went from 50% to 60% and is going up fast the temp is at 95fImageUploadedByTortForum1376444264.426077.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376444296.532894.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1376444220.826679.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1376444220.826679.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Replace the mulch with soil (without perlite). Or just put the soil on top of the mulch.

Spread some seed meant to feed cockatiels very liberally underneath the top-most layer of soil you lay down.

Use the lid for the seed container as a water dish. Keep it filled with fresh water. Continue feeding as you have been.

Do the same thing in principle when you are finished with the new home.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Redfoots usually like dim light and will "hide" from the basking light your sully LOVES. From your pics, it looks like that's the case with yours. You may want to give him more than one hiding place, or some fake plants, so he'll feel more comfortable coming out.

At least its something to think about when you build separate enclosures. I'd do UVB and ceramic heat emitter(s) rather than a basking light for your RF.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.