I feel so bad, can't stop thinking about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
When Nick saw Tallula at the petshop, he called me over, and I looked into the cage. There were two torts inside...definitely a hatchling, it was TINY and then the bigger one (Tallula). He wanted the baby one, but I said no, I wasn't even sure they were allowed to sell such a small tort! We chose Tallula instead. The hatchling looked identical to Tallula, just half her size.

Now knowing all the wrong info the petshop gave us, diet, substrate etc, I feel terrible I left that little baby there. I wonder if it's still there? I don't know if I should go check, and if it there? Take it home with me?

Just venting!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Stace,
When my fiance and I went looking for Hermann tortoises, there were only 3 Hermanns left where I live in 2 different pet shop. There was one in one store and 2 at the other. I took the younger one (Hermy) I went back to the 2 pet shops a while ago and the 2 other Hermann's were already sold. I really hope people made the same research as I did and that they did not listen to what the pet shop employes said.
Stace, maybe you could go back and buy her? Would Nick want another tortoise?

Stazz

5 Year Member
I'm not too sure, I would have to ask him!
I also hope other people will do the research to care for them properly, it makes me so mad that people working at the store have no clue what they're talking about.
Maybe I should go educate them!!!

I have to think about space, and also have to think about taking another tort back into South Africa when we move home, or wherever we move after Dubai!
It's pretty expensive to get all the paperwork sorted out etc, actually not too expensive, I would do it a hundred times over for Tallula, but would have to think clearly about another tort!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
I'm not too sure, I would have to ask him!
I also hope other people will do the research to care for them properly, it makes me so mad that people working at the store have no clue what they're talking about.
Maybe I should go educate them!!!

I have to think about space, and also have to think about taking another tort back into South Africa when we move home, or wherever we move after Dubai!
It's pretty expensive to get all the paperwork sorted out etc, actually not too expensive, I would do it a hundred times over for Tallula, but would have to think clearly about another tort!

Stace, what a good idea :D
Maybe you could print them a few copies of some caresheets and give them to the employes. Or you could ask to talk to the manager. It could work if you are really nice with them :D What do you think?

Stazz

5 Year Member
I will do that !!!!! :D That makes me feel a bit better. I will ask Nick to come with me on Saturday, and will chat nicely and quietly to the manager.
I will be super nice to them, and will explain the importance of looking after a tort!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
I will do that !!!!! :D That makes me feel a bit better. I will ask Nick to come with me on Saturday, and will chat nicely and quietly to the manager.
I will be super nice to them, and will explain the importance of looking after a tort!

:D That is very nice of you Stace
Good luck and please, let us know how it goes :)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Hehehe I will do !!! Must still think about the hatchling if it's still there. Most people would have just though it was a cage on a shelf, as I walked past it twice and never saw the torts!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
Hehehe I will do !!! Must still think about the hatchling if it's still there. Most people would have just though it was a cage on a shelf, as I walked past it twice and never saw the torts!

So sad :(

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Education, Education, education. That is the key. If someone just buys a tort and the petstores give them wrong advice or a incorrect care sheet and the employees don't know any better how are they to learn. Stacy if you take in a proper care sheet and explain that tortoise care has changed and that new things are being discovered all the time like what causes pyramiding or what to feed them. Then they will know for the other torts that they may get. They can also distribute the correct care sheet for that species.

Stazz

5 Year Member
I actually may have a friend who may want a tort, will just see what happens and what I find over the wknd. :p
ABSOLUTELY Robyn, I will do just that! I will feel much better knowing I've changed a few torts lives through that petstore :)
Will keep ya posted after I go there! I will take a few care sheets with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.