I would like to know if I should bury my turtle or preserve its shell.

rosietoes420

Location (City and/or State)
Tulsa
My three toed boxed turtle passed away about a week ago, and i was wondering what is the humane thing to do and that is to either bury her, or let her decomp and keep her shell to remember her, she was a small turtle and was about 5 years old, and she passed away, I was wondering how do we preserve her shell, or if I should just bury her.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My three toed boxed turtle passed away about a week ago, and i was wondering what is the humane thing to do and that is to either bury her, or let her decomp and keep her shell to remember her, she was a small turtle and was about 5 years old, and she passed away, I was wondering how do we preserve her shell, or if I should just bury her.
Bury her, then in a couple of years you can dig it up and usually the shell is preserved. 5 years is way young for a box turtle to die. Do you know why?

rosietoes420

Tulsa
Bury her, then in a couple of years you can dig it up and usually the shell is preserved. 5 years is way young for a box turtle to die. Do you know why?
Thank you for the tip, I'll do that, take a look at my old forum post from yesterday, I feel really bad cause I didn't take care of her right and she got sick and passed away. I feel really bad about it, I have another turtle but hes way older and we're making him an outdoor habitat.