Injection

b0risvw

Location (City and/or State)
Berkel en Rodenrijs
Hey guys,

Ik took Peggy to the vet for a checkup today, and he told me she got a minor cold. He gave me antibiotics which I have to inject in her hindlegs once a day for 9 days. But I have one question I forgot to ask him, so I was hoping someone here could help me out. Should I keep the antibiotics in the fridge? Also, is there a tutorial or something for injecting a tortoise? Because the vet did show me how to do it, but I'm afraid I'll do it wrong...

Thanks in advance,
Boris

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it's Enroflaxicin it doesn't need to be refrigerated. But there are others that do. I'm sure you can probably find a tutorial on you tube.

Just as an aside - I don't agree that a "minor cold" requires antibiotic. If Peggy is a new-to-you tortoise, chances are it's just stress that caused the drippy nose.

b0risvw

Berkel en Rodenrijs
If it's Enroflaxicin it doesn't need to be refrigerated. But there are others that do. I'm sure you can probably find a tutorial on you tube.

Just as an aside - I don't agree that a "minor cold" requires antibiotic. If Peggy is a new-to-you tortoise, chances are it's just stress that caused the drippy nose.
It really is a cold, as she was having a little whistle when breathing. As for the tutorials, my vet told me it should be injected in her back leg, but everything I find online only shows the front legs...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, the front legs is where most of us inject tortoises. I think your vet was just taking the easy way out.

And you can't diagnose a 'cold' by listening to the breathing. You need to look at a smear of the nasal discharge on a slide through a microscope. Whistling could simply mean there was a small piece of debris in the nasal cavity.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi B0risvw and welcome. What country are you located in? If you don't mind. I don't recognize the name of it.
This is a good tortoise site and Yvonne is a very experienced tortoise owner. You will get great help and advice.

What species is Peggy?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi B0risvw and welcome. What country are you located in? If you don't mind. I don't recognize the name of it.
This is a good tortoise site and Yvonne is a very experienced tortoise owner. You will get great help and advice.

What species is Peggy?

B0risvw is in The Netherlands