Is this definitely a Greek tortoise?

Nicole210

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
We bought our tortoise two weeks ago from a breeder who said they are Greek tortoises. Can someone please image.jpg image.jpg confirm. I believe it's a male from what I have read on here on how to tell the sex. TIA!

conservation

10 Year Member!
It is Sulcata. How do you have its cage set up? There are some great threads on here for advice on cage ideas.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome. Lots of sully owners on here for help and advise when needed.

Nicole210

Florida
I am glad I asked. As I said, they said they were greek and he does have those spurs on his back legs. But then I saw some Sulcatas and also saw they have the spurs and started to wonder. Thank you! I will read the link you sent me. Right now we have him in an aquarium tank until my husband can finish building a wooden indoor enclosure for him. We take him outside every day and I also let him wander around the sun room ( closed in patio) we have. We live in south Florida . It's pretty darn hot here right now.
I had been shutting of his UVB light and heat lamp light at night. Should I leave the heat lamp on since he is still a baby?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure how people can sell and animal and not know what it is, GEEZ it burns me. A sully and a Greek big difference. Good luck

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I am glad I asked. As I said, they said they were greek and he does have those spurs on his back legs. But then I saw some Sulcatas and also saw they have the spurs and started to wonder. Thank you! I will read the link you sent me. Right now we have him in an aquarium tank until my husband can finish building a wooden indoor enclosure for him. We take him outside every day and I also let him wander around the sun room ( closed in patio) we have. We live in south Florida . It's pretty darn hot here right now.
I had been shutting of his UVB light and heat lamp light at night. Should I leave the heat lamp on since he is still a baby?
He should not be allowed to get below 80 degrees, day or night so you'll need som night heat

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Not sure how people can sell and animal and not know what it is, GEEZ it burns me. A sully and a Greek big difference. Good luck
simple Greek so for my money. Dishonest but it happens
salutations

TMartin510

Fremont, California
As for indoor enclosure, I hear sulcatas get pretty big pretty fast, eventually in some years you'll prob have to move it outside to live

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't understand how a tortoise breeder can be breeding tortoises and not know what species he's breeding.

I hope you realize that this is a very large species, with some individuals getting over 150lbs. They don't hibernate.

Nicole210

Florida
Thank you all for your help. It was a friend of a friend who sold me tortoise. Apparently when my friend told me it was a spur tortoise and I asked if it was a spur thighed Greek he said yes. When actually it's a African spur! The girl wrote me back two days ago and offered to even take the little guy back. ( i keep saying he but she also told me s/he is too young to sex)
We are very attached now and he is doing well. My husband is almost done making him a wooden enclosure for inside and then he will work on making him a pen so he can go outside a lot as well. We live in sunny hot south florida so he loves being outside and walking all around our paved patio.
I did want to ask, for the wooden enclosure should we treat the wood so it is water proof for moisture or should I use some tape and a shower curtain or visqueen plastic sheeting to line bottom ??