Karee tree (African sumac or willow rhus) safety

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
I need help with making sure this tree is safe. The tree hangs over Zvezda's habitat, it frequently drops leaves and seeds into the habitat, I always remove them, but when I'm in Stilbaai, I can't ask someone to pick up the small peppercorn sized seeds. I've only found good things about the tree, (seeds edible, leaves used as cattle feed-but it's resin can make the milk taste weird, the seeds of the tree is used to make mead, some parts contain tanin) (Karee is Afrikaans, but it comes from the Khoi which means mead) (Searsia lancea is the scientific name)
Do note that even though it is Anacardiaceae, it does not share the chemical found in poison ivy or in fire thorns.
What do you guys think?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I don't know this type of tree, but it sounds like you've done good research.

My rule of thumb is that anything non-toxic to us will be OK for torts...be sure that they are being soaked daily for 40-60 minutes in warm water so that their hydration remains High.

@TisMary @RosemaryDW

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We have a sumac tree in the US that a lot of people think is poisonous but it's really not. Another name for it is Indian Lemonade and it's edible. It probably has the seeds like you are talking about contained within the berries. I can't imagine a tortoise picking up little peppercorns with his beak anyway.