Koopa and Troopa Debut!!

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Meet Koopa and Troopa, my red foots! As you may notice, they have some slight pyramiding, espacially Koopa, the larger one. This is because I have recieved them from a co-worker who wanted to rehome them. You see, when I first came to get them,.it was evident that they really needed my help. Their owner really meant well, but had little knowledge of their needs as she purchased them from Petco. They've lived in a 50 gallon tank indoors with a spotlight where they have eaten nothing but squash, zuchini and apples as their staple. They are the same age, but little Troopa became the more submissive one under the more dominant Koopa, further fueling his gradual large size.

Now, that is changed. As of April, they live outside in a 7X12 enclosure with weeds and four-leaf clovers (yes, real ones!) to munch on, real sunlight for Vitamin D and a small pool with mosquito fish in it so they can drink and bathe anytime. Their shelter is a doghouse with mulch to retain moisture, and cuttlebone for calcium. Their diet is varied every other day, as leafy greens, minus spichach (except on occasion), as the bulk of their staple. They still eat their fruits and veggies, now including mango and steawberry, plus a hibiscus plant for shade and food. Also, every other week, ill throw in some adult mealworms, wax worms and dubia roaches for protien on occasion. They really love apples, and they tried prickly pear cactus for the first time, pads AND fruit! I'll be sure to bring them in come winter, and in time their shells will hopefully smoothen out a little. All in all, they seem very happy and active.

But I'm not so sure of their genders. But Koopa MIGHT be leaning towards bein' a male since he has somewhat of a "waist line" and a slightly concaved plastron. At this point, they are both still very young, and their anal scutes seem questionable to me, like in between male and female, or a wide V shape, not quite round like a females and not wide and stretchwd like a males. It seems intermediate. Either way, I'll post more pics the next day to see if anyone can help me. Enjoy! Btw, the rabbit in the pics is an animal that I'm petsitting for awhile. Lol!

Attachments

• CAM00959.jpg
    CAM00959.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 49
  • CAM00962.jpg
    CAM00962.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
  • CAM01104.jpg
    CAM01104.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 47
  • CAM01106.jpg
    CAM01106.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 47
  • CAM01133.jpg
    CAM01133.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
  • CAM01102.jpg
    CAM01102.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 39
  • CAM01128.jpg
    CAM01128.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
  • CAM01049.jpg
    CAM01049.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 37
  • CAM00983.jpg
    CAM00983.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Nice yard. Do they have a hiding place?

747117wei24kafiu.gif

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Nice yard. Do they have a hiding place?

747117wei24kafiu.gif
Thanks. And yes, I've disassembled my chihuahua dog carrier in two to proved them two places of shade and retreat. I will put new pics soon cuz yesterday, with my friends' help, we took home some big, thick branches on a roadside. I will use and arrange them as decor and give them more reason to explore and exercise.