Late Introduction

Arshi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi everyone!
I didn’t realize that there was a whole introduction thing on this forum hahaha. I’ve been on this forum for months now so this is a late introduction but I hope you guys don’t mind :) My name is Arshi and I live in Canada, Ontario. I have a nine month old Redfoot Cherryhead Tortoise named Simba. I got Simba back in July and we’ve had a couple bumps down the road. I was struggling with maintaining an 80% humidity level and getting the correct source of heating/lights for him (I use a CHE and UVB strip light now). All of that is corrected but I’m still learning more about Simba and I’m open to any tips, enclosure alterations, and especially food recommendations! During these cold months, I have to go to the grocery store for greens so I would love to know what grocery greens everybody uses. I would also love some plant suggestions that I can garden indoors so my tortoise can have fresh greens too. The main thing I want to do is vary his diet more and play around with different kind of foods or try out websites that sell tortoise foods. I would love to know if any of you have a Redfoot Cherryhead tortoise especially if you’re also from Canada ?? thank you for reading ? some photos:
3E4A8C97-4711-47F0-9FFB-398D67D02611.jpeg12F7C877-F403-4FEE-8B2E-2C142A10022E.jpeg7CA6B021-3C19-498A-960D-57EEC581BFDD.jpeg512CC813-6B3F-4CD7-BA38-6A576B846B4F.jpeg

Marshall77

Oregon
That water picture scares me a bit. Tortoises are rather clumsy so I hope he can get out of it easily and without flipping himself over. It seems to be unnecessarily deep as well. The picture does appear to be a supervised soak situation but I have heard horror stories about this situation and the Tortoise drowning because the phone rang or somebody knocked at the door and by the time the person gets back to or remembers the tortoise soaking it has already drowned.

Last edited:

Arshi

Canada
That water picture scares me a bit. Tortoises are rather clumsy so I hope he can get out of it easily and without flipping himself over. It seems to be unnecessarily deep as well. The picture does appear to be a supervised soak situation but I have heard horror stories about this situation and the Tortoise drowning because the phone rang or somebody knocked at the door and by the time the person gets back to or remembers the tortoise soaking it has already drowned.

Yes that was a supervised soak session. I am always with him during soaks no matter what. Even if there is an emergency then I take him out and put him back in his enclosure or take him with me. That day I did make the water deeper (it is usually lower than that) because he was extremely dehydrated. For some reason I thought maybe a nice deep soak would help but probably did not do anything ? Also note that his neck is tucked in so it looks a lot deeper but when he is properly chilling in the water then his head is well above it.

Although, thank you so much for giving me advice and letting me know. I know you are just looking out for my tortoise so thank you, I appreciate it :)

Marshall77

Oregon
Good you have satisfactory answers for all my concerns. You can't get a much better outcome than that.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Arshi and welcome to you and beautiful Simba.
If you post some pics of his enclosure you'll get great advice on any changes you could make - if any.

Arshi

Canada
If you post some pics of his enclosure you'll get great advice on any changes you could make - if any.
[/QUOTE
thank you :) and
Welcome to the Forum, Arshi!
thank you :)