Leopard Tortoise Indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Hello everyone. My name is Ashley and I got my Leopard Tortoise two days ago. I want to make sure Oso's home is everything she needs it to be. Please take a look at the pics and let me know if I need to change anything or add anything. I'm using Peat Moss and Timmothy hay as a substate, this is what the breeder told me to use, is that okay for her? Also I was told at the pet store to use a 50W Red heat light during the day and a 10.0 UVB light during the day, then nothing at night? Sorry about all the questions.
View attachment 9688
View attachment 9689

Last edited by a moderator:

River14

5 Year Member
OKey Im going to offer my 5cents worth here and its mostly intuition. I personally would not mix the peat with the hay. The hay can turn mouldy and rot and it unlikely the little chap is going to eat it like this anyway. Its best to have just hay and just sphagnum moss (better than peat moss) if you can get it live all the better it grows rather easily in even a cold frame, hay in the large area. The moss should be just damp so it can curl up and sleep warmly so put it in its hiding places, the moss should be a bit humid, take a load and soak it in water then squeeze it thoroughly till no water comes out. If its fresh just use as is.

In any set up the hay will become slightly pliable because the humidity should be that high for BBs, the tortoise will eat it. Replace it once a week. You can spray the hay too to make it more pliable. Just dont leave it so long it moulds and rots, you can also soak the hay over night then drip dry or spin completely and use that, no other substrate needed.

BTW horses need hay to be soaked too to stop lung diseases from dust.

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
River14 said:
OKey Im going to offer my 5cents worth here and its mostly intuition. I personally would not mix the peat with the hay. The hay can turn mouldy and rot and it unlikely the little chap is going to eat it like this anyway. Its best to have just hay and just sphagnum moss (better than peat moss) if you can get it live all the better it grows rather easily in even a cold frame, hay in the large area. The moss should be just damp so it can curl up and sleep warmly so put it in its hiding places, the moss should be a bit humid, take a load and soak it in water then squeeze it thoroughly till no water comes out. If its fresh just use as is.

In any set up the hay will become slightly pliable because the humidity should be that high for BBs, the tortoise will eat it. Replace it once a week. You can spray the hay too to make it more pliable. Just dont leave it so long it moulds and rots, you can also soak the hay over night then drip dry or spin completely and use that, no other substrate needed.

BTW horses need hay to be soaked too to stop lung diseases from dust.

Thank you for responding! The peat moss that I have says its sphagnum peat moss, is that the same thing you are talking about? My next question is, when I first got her a couple days ago i put down only timmothy hay and noticed she was having a very hard time walking around on it, so is it okay to put the moss everywhere then in one corner put the timmothy hay? If so what corner do you think i should put the hay in? Sorry so many question I just want to make sure this is right for her :)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
If your temp gets below 77-80 I suggest using the red heat bulb at night (if you don't have any other night heat). I'd then use a heat day light during the day. Also try and make that drinking bowl flushed to the ground. I'm sure it will be a little tough for your Leo to easily get a drink of water.

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Fernando said:
If your temp gets below 77-80 I suggest using the red heat bulb at night (if you don't have any other night heat). I'd then use a heat day light during the day. Also try and make that drinking bowl flushed to the ground. I'm sure it will be a little tough for your Leo to easily get a drink of water.

I believe its gets to be about 75 in there at night. So I will start using the red light at night and go to the store today and buy a differnt light for the day. What about the UVB light, should that be on during the day only? I'm still in the process of building his outdoor enclosure so I know he needs it just not sure how often?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I use 100w uvb bulb for day and a ceramic heat emitter for night. I would make a humid hide as well. I have used all sorts of substrate and like plain dirt or cypress mulch best. Torts need outside time as well, do you have something for outside time?

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Missy said:
I use 100w uvb bulb for day and a ceramic heat emitter for night. I would make a humid hide as well. I have used all sorts of substrate and like plain dirt or cypress mulch best. Torts need outside time as well, do you have something for outside time?

My husband is in the process of building it now, we have the substrate down in it and the plant seed is on its way to put plants in it. I'm just wanting on my husband to finish the cover for it before I'm putting him in it.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
AshleyJones said:
Missy said:

My husband is in the process of building it now, we have the substrate down in it and the plant seed is on its way to put plants in it. I'm just wanting on my husband to finish the cover for it before I'm putting him in it.

Thats great:) just be sure with the temps that you don't leave it in the direct sun. I take mine out for an hour in the morning and have a spray bottle and mist every few min to keep her cool.

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Missy said:
AshleyJones said:
Missy said:

Thats great:) just be sure with the temps that you don't leave it in the direct sun. I take mine out for an hour in the morning and have a spray bottle and mist every few min to keep her cool.

Since I do live in AZ I was thinking about trying to find some kind of auto mister with a timer to go off every few min or somthing like that.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Regular peat moss is very acidic. I personally wouldn't use it unless it was cut with soil.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Personally Would Barry The Water Dish Into The Ground So It is Flush and your Leopard Can Get In and Out!
Also You Want A Subtract That Will Hold In Moisture, So u Want To Spray The Enclosure and Him Several Times Daily With a spray Bottle, and Give Him Warm Soaks Daily, Its All About Keeping Him Warm, Humid, and Well Hydrated!

I Have a Sulcata, And The Care Is Almost The Same For These Little Guys,
Try To Follow Toms Care Sheet and You Will Be Fine,
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1RNxjkZs4

If You Have Any Questions Feel Free To Ask :)

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
yagyujubei said:
Regular peat moss is very acidic. I personally wouldn't use it unless it was cut with soil.

I have organic soil will it work if i put 50/50 organic soil and the moss?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Another Fun neat Thing To Do, Is When U Have Time Measure The Width
and Length of your litttle guy, and The Weight and Record it!
Once Every Couple Months Or So, Weigh him and Measure Him Again and See how much its grown :)

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Jacob said:
Yes That Will Work!

Jacob said:
Another Fun neat Thing To Do, Is When U Have Time Measure The Width
and Length of your litttle guy, and The Weight and Record it!
Once Every Couple Months Or So, Weigh him and Measure Him Again and See how much its grown :)

Hey i'm going to do that lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ashley:

Welcome to the forum!!

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Okay so try number 2, what do you guys think about this one? I think i'm getting a little obsessed lol!

IMAG0600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Looks good. If I were you I would add a couple of plants though.

What are you doing for the tortoises UVB requirements? ie...outside time, MVB, etc...

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Neal said:
Looks good. If I were you I would add a couple of plants though.

What are you doing for the tortoises UVB requirements? ie...outside time, MVB, etc...

I have some plants growing but they are not ready to be put in yet, do you think I should put some fake ones in till they are ready?
I have heat lights and UVB lights they are just not in the pic, that was right when I put the enclosure together, and he also goes outside for 2 hours in the morning then at about 6:30 I put him back outside for another 2 hours since it doesnt get dark in AZ tell about 9pm. Do u think thats enough outside time?

Status
Not open for further replies.