Meet my two sliders

Status
Not open for further replies.

ismail

5 Year Member
Hi there.

I have two sliders but have little information on which type they are. my guess is that they are either cumberland turtles or a hybrid. Can someone help me? They are two years old. Can you recognize their sex at two?

Thanks to all for your help!

Attachments

• mr turtle1.jpg
    mr turtle1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 70
  • mr turtle1b.jpg
    mr turtle1b.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 51
  • mr turtle2.jpg
    mr turtle2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 64

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hard To say for sure by the pics but that's what they look to me do you have any better pics of them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The last pic looks like a red ear slider. By the red on the side of head. Do they all have that? Couldn't tell by the pics. Take them out of the water and take their pics. Front and side would be good. Be sure to have the front feet in the pics. Also, if you can get a pic of the underside of their tail.

ismail

5 Year Member
wellington said:
The last pic looks like a red ear slider. By the red on the side of head. Do they all have that? Couldn't tell by the pics. Take them out of the water and take their pics. Front and side would be good. Be sure to have the front feet in the pics. Also, if you can get a pic of the underside of their tail.

Ok, tomorrow i'll take them out of the water and take some pics like you told me.

I dont think they are RES. the red on the pic is barely there in real life. i think its more an effect of the camera! actually in real life where RES have red mine have it black!

Thanks for replying!

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
They could be Yellow Bellies. But yes i agree we need better pics outside of the water.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
lori12386 said:
They could be Yellow Bellies. But yes i agree we need better pics outside of the water.

No.

They are RES.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
You need better, detailed pictures of the head stripe, plastron, and carapace.........

Some Cumberlund Sliders have a red ear, some do not. It depends on which part of their range where they are decended from......

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
They are Trachemys scripta troosti, Cumberland Slider. The ears are more "orange-ish" in hue, and if you look at the forelegs, the bottom yellow stripe is at least twice as wide as the top yellow stripe on the same leg. This trait is an identifying feature of the Cumberland Slider.

They look a little small to sex, and we'd need to see their tails. Wait until after the SCL is over 4". That is when sliders are typically sexable.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Good catch by tTR. Provide a clear carapace shot to be sure.

ismail

5 Year Member
theTurtleRoom said:
They are Trachemys scripta troosti, Cumberland Slider. The ears are more "orange-ish" in hue, and if you look at the forelegs, the bottom yellow stripe is at least twice as wide as the top yellow stripe on the same leg. This trait is an identifying feature of the Cumberland Slider.

They look a little small to sex, and we'd need to see their tails. Wait until after the SCL is over 4". That is when sliders are typically sexable.

Here are some pictures of Mr. Big and MS Small. Hope i got their sexes right! Can you confirm whether they are cumberlands pls?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Mr Big.jpg
    Mr Big.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Mr Big 2.jpg
    Mr Big 2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 39
  • mr Big 3.jpg
    mr Big 3.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 31
  • mr big 5.jpg
    mr big 5.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 33
  • mr big 6.jpg
    mr big 6.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 27
  • mr big 7.jpg
    mr big 7.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 23
  • mr big 8.jpg
    mr big 8.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 15112012550 Ms small.jpg
    15112012550 Ms small.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Ms Small 2 (2).jpg
    Ms Small 2 (2).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Ms small 3.jpg
    Ms small 3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Ms small 4.jpg
    Ms small 4.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ms small 5.jpg
    ms small 5.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 14
  • ms small 9.jpg
    ms small 9.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 15
  • ms small 8.jpg
    ms small 8.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ms small 7.jpg
    ms small 7.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 16

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
The first is definitely a Cumberland, and appears to be female, due to the tail. THe pictures of the second, are blurry at the head and legs, so its hard to tell what color the "ear" is and how wide the stripes on the forelegs are. It, however, also appears to be female. In both cases, the cloaca is positioned pretty close to the shell.

ismail

5 Year Member
theTurtleRoom said:
The first is definitely a Cumberland, and appears to be female, due to the tail. THe pictures of the second, are blurry at the head and legs, so its hard to tell what color the "ear" is and how wide the stripes on the forelegs are. It, however, also appears to be female. In both cases, the cloaca is positioned pretty close to the shell.

Here are some pics of the stripes of the head for the smaller turtle. Can you confirm it is a cumberland too?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• ms small 10.jpg
    ms small 10.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 5
  • ms small 11.jpg
    ms small 11.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 5
  • ms small 12.jpg
    ms small 12.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 10

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
For that one, the lower stripe on the forelegs doesn't have any extra width to it. This animal is either a Red-Eared Slider (Trachemys scripta elegans) or an intergrade between Cumberland and RES. Most likely, it is a RES.

Status
Not open for further replies.