Music composed for CATS --play some of this & watch for reaction

Prairie Mom

cat-music.jpg
photo from: http://bibliolore.org/2012/11/14/music-for-cats/

"The trick for getting pets to listen is composing music that
fits into how the animal communicates, writes University of Wisconsin psychologists and study authors Megan Savage and Charles Snowdon. “We have developed a theoretical framework that hypothesizes that in order for music to be effective with other species, it must be in the frequency range and with similar tempos to those used in natural communication by each species.”

"To test their hypothesis, the researchers turned to musician David Teie to compose songs that would fit into those parameters, which resulted in the tracks, “Cozmo’s Air,” “Spook’s Ditty,” and “Rusty’s Ballad.”
-----http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown...&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=newshour
---------------------------------------------------------

TRY CLICKING ON THE SAMPLE SONG LINKS BELOW :

Spook’s ditty
Cozmo’s air
Rusty’s ballad

If your windows player doesn't open up, then find the songs on the bottom of the webpage listed below...
3 SAMPLES OF THE MUSIC ARE EASILY FOUND ON THIS WEBPAGE

http://bibliolore.org/2012/11/14/music-for-cats/

-----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Prairie Mom

I have a house full of cats (lots of animals, actually). Some of my cats didn't react, but OTHERS gave HUGE REACTIONS. One of them came running from down the hallway to check out the new sounds. Two that were near-by, turned their heads and looked at the computer with ears twitching at every sound. One of my cats actually appeared to ENJOY it and lay down near my laptop and relaxed as her ears twitched with relaxed attention. Cute and interesting:)

Prairie Mom

My cat frantically looked around the room for the first one, no reaction to the last two though:p
That's funny. Different cats of mine had bigger reactions to different songs. The one that you mentioned (Spook's ditty) is the one that made one of my cats come running from the hallway. After that song, she showed no interest in the others---which also seems like you're cat. -I find that kind of fun and interesting:)

Prairie Mom

I love how the second one, "Cozmo's air," sounds like purring :p

I just played that one again, and all felines within earshot seemed pretty relaxed but with ears twitching toward every new noise.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
My cat was asleep. When I played the music she looked up at me as though to say "what an idiot human" then went back to sleep.:(
I'll try it again when my other cat gets in. She should react, if there's cat or bird noise on the TV she goes mad sometimes.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
A violin played badly will get a reaction. I just hope tax payer money was not used for this, some people def. have to much time on their hands.