My 13 years old Russian tortoise

Abies

Hey everyone,
please help me. My torts eats all kind of stuff like sawdust, sand, stones etc. Most of time she is in her terrarium, she is out of her terrarium when I path her. Sometimes I put she on the floor and she very loves walking, she is very curious but I can´t stay her alone because every free moment when I turn my eyes away she will eat random items like furniture, rugs etc. The pet shop keeper suggests to buy a cuttlebone and she added that the dry food for torts are very effective, because torts like to dicover new things and like I said they are very curious animals. The dry food consists of different plants, vegetables or fruits and there are different granuls which consists of different vitamins. My torts very liked this food, but the problem stay still. Can you help me, what is matter whit her and maybe you have some good ideas what to do whit her?
Besides that she is very active and happy, her health is good. We visit a vet every year and the vet allways says that torts is in good health.
Waiting for your comments! :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi and welcome to the Forum

It might help if you can take a picture of your tortoise and it's enclosure/pen so we can see how you are keeping it.

And make sure that you read all the info in the Russian care sheets.

Wecome and good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Abies - this is exactly why we encourage people to NOT allow their tortoises to wander around on the floor. They MUST be kept in a large dedicated to them habitat. Or else outside.

Abies

Hi and welcome to the Forum

It might help if you can take a picture of your tortoise and it's enclosure/pen so we can see how you are keeping it.

And make sure that you read all the info in the Russian care sheets.

Wecome and good luck
thank you for answering so quickly!
Your idea is good, I will do some photos in a few days.
You had right, here are good readings of Russian torts, certainly I am gonna read them :). Maybe they gonna help me :)

Abies

Hi Abies - this is exactly why we encourage people to NOT allow their tortoises to wander around on the floor. They MUST be kept in a large dedicated to them habitat. Or else outside.
Hey you too!
I think you maybe did not understand me correctly. The problem is that she eats nonfood things in her terrarium too.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Try sprinking some Miner-All on her food. I get my from petmountain.com or amazon.com. It is made with or without D3, so be sure to get the correct one. I had a problem with some of my tortoises eating dirt. I bought some Miner-All and it solved the problem.

Abies

Try sprinking some Miner-All on her food. I get my from petmountain.com or amazon.com. It is made with or without D3, so be sure to get the correct one. I had a problem with some of my tortoises eating dirt. I bought some Miner-All and it solved the problem.

Carol, I really thank you a lot, I had never heard about this. Our petshops sell only calcium powder. :( I should order this :) Thanks again!