My turtle bites himself 🥺

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
It looks like you have done everything that you can. If he was mine, and there's no improvement and he continues to self-mutilate, I would euthanize him as a final act of kindness.

France
Hi TammyJ and Beasty_Artemis,
You see, we are waiting for the blood tests results. To know if we can provide something missing that could explain his behavior.
We had the hearts broken and my head was full of rage to see the wounds he made himself while he was at the Vet. I told him, NO WATER. WITHOUT WATCHING HIM…
But the fact is, he is hurting himself, and this is not a life. Neither for him, nor for us. 😭
He is my baby for 37 years, I was 12 when I got him and you can’t imagine what we’ve been through 🥹
My daughter loves him like a member of the family… and if we can’t help him to have a Happy Life of Turtle that he deserves instead of suffering like this, we will decide together to put a end at this torture. 😭
Very hard when he still has happy and normal sunbathing and sleeping turtle times …

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I wonder if my poor red foots can have similar problems if my care isn't optimal!!!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
They are reptiles. They don't think like we do. They feel physical pain, or they don't. Their brains don't torment them like ours does to us! Lucky them.😉

France
Hey guys !
Just got Tosca Blood test results.
See the Vet tomorrow to talk about it.
I put them in attached file.
It’s written below :
Warning ! Results depends on the age, the sex, the season and environment of the Turtle…

Attachments

• 3140A696-9A13-4328-AF31-6A27EC78F6B4.jpeg
    3140A696-9A13-4328-AF31-6A27EC78F6B4.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 3
France
Good morning,
I just come back from the Vet.
He said even if there is some over and too low results it’s according to that différents variables…so no lack explaining his behavior we could correct by a treatment. 😓
They weren’t able to quantity the hormones as it’s not referenced in Europe.
So, the Vet proposed a huge hormonal implant.
Or it improves his behavior and we try the castration which is highly risky
Or it doesn’t and we stop.
if it’s hormonal, we will see an improvement within the next 2 or 3 weeks.
So we will try…

France
Hi TammyJ !
Sorry for being so long to keep you in touch
Covid, the hard one invited itself at home…
Just to keep you posted :
Tosca had a huge hormonal implant… it doesn’t really work but we didn’t have huge crise since.
We deduct with my daughter that, if he is stressed, hungry, unhappy, he try to bite himself.
Unless we feed him, occupy him in bringing him by the window, for a walk…even car ride 😳 !
-Let’s speak clear, it’s madness-
We decided with my daughter that as for the moment, things going smooth, we don’t take any radical decision.
But we can’t keep him « happy » in feeding him every day, a nightmare with the water and his liver won’t support it.
So actually, he is only quiet when his stomach is full…we know this is not a life.
But it’s really hard to take THE decision when we seeing him sunbathing or chilling peacefully watching at us …
So we are ready, at the next uncontrollable crise, we will put an end to this impossible way of life…
It will break our hearts, but we will do it.
Waiting for this , we try to enjoy every nice, fun, peaceful moment that he leaves…🥰🐢❤️
I am totally aware that he is not acting like a wild animal because it’s been 37 years that I treat him like a pet… life brought us on this way and you can’t imagine how much I’m sorry about it.
Thank you so much for your kindness and your support 🙏❤️🙏
Take care of you.
Sam

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hey. We all feel this with you. We love these pets of ours, some of them have been with us so long through so much stuff. If they could talk, they would say: "Thank you for all the years of love and caring! You did GOOD. Now feel better quick and get on with your useful and precious life! We are OK."