Nematodes and enclosure cleaning.

HJ1983

Location (City and/or State)
New York City
I found out on Saturday that Killer had a high concentration of Pinworm Ova eggs. (I saw them on a slide and even though they're not good for my Killer I think they're pretty cool). He was treated at the vet with Panacur, administered by a tube to his gut, and we go back on the 22nd for his second treatment.

I emailed the vet and asked if I should change his substrate and house him on newspaper for the next few weeks and he said it wouldn't hurt. So now I'm sitting here wondering how you safely clean/disinfect a porous wooden box. I was thinking a water vinegar solution. Since that's what I use for my bunnies. Any ideas or suggestions?

What about steam?

LABZOO

ACCELERATED HYDROGEN PEROXIDE! :D I cannot get enough of this stuff. Very broad spectrum, but check the label to be sure. This stuff kills pretty much everything and is the only thing I have ever seen used with exotics. Its expensive to buy through the vet but a few gallons should last a lifetime. Try a equine tack store, or a place that sells dog kennel supplies. I use it to disinfect everything bc I refuse to use bleach in my house around my animals (it is VOC free and is mild to the touch). I even use it to clean the horse stall- my reason was to kill any eggs which is similar to why you are going to use it. Hope this helped :)
brands: peroxiguard, prevention
Cheers. http://animalhealth.bayer.ca/en/sanitation/peroxigard/

ps- I live in Canada, but I think the same brands are found in the US. Might even be cheaper where you live.

HJ1983

Location (City and/or State)
New York City
LABZOO said:
ACCELERATED HYDROGEN PEROXIDE! :D I cannot get enough of this stuff. Very broad spectrum, but check the label to be sure. This stuff kills pretty much everything and is the only thing I have ever seen used with exotics. Its expensive to buy through the vet but a few gallons should last a lifetime. Try a equine tack store, or a place that sells dog kennel supplies. I use it to disinfect everything bc I refuse to use bleach in my house around my animals (it is VOC free and is mild to the touch). I even use it to clean the horse stall- my reason was to kill any eggs which is similar to why you are going to use it. Hope this helped :)
brands: peroxiguard, prevention
Cheers. http://animalhealth.bayer.ca/en/sanitation/peroxigard/

ps- I live in Canada, but I think the same brands are found in the US. Might even be cheaper where you live.

This is definitely helpful. I am looking it up now but all I'm getting is hospital cleaners. I did however find a link on how to make your own hydrogen peroxide cleaner. If I can't find this I will make my own. It should be safe enough for Killer since hydrogen peroxide breaks down into simple elements.

LABZOO

Yes it is used in hospitals as well, it might not be popular where you live but I think you can order online. Also, I am not certain but I do not think you can mfg home made accelerated h2o2. The accelerated part is the result of chemically adding acids and surfactants, a process that is probably still under patent. You can probably use the regular stuff but double check how effective out will be on what you are trying to kill. I recall trying that myself but went ahead and bought the accel to be safe.
Cheers