NEW HERMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richmond2

5 Year Member
Have just purchased my first tortoise a Herman 1yr old it is amazing so active but it keeps digging in corners and is very shy at the moment is this normal? Or is it because it is a new home to him/her

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Congrats and yes the shyness and digging in the corners is most likely because it a new environment...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Richmond2 said:
Have just purchased my first tortoise a Herman 1yr old it is amazing so active but it keeps digging in corners and is very shy at the moment is this normal? Or is it because it is a new home to him/her

Yes, that's normal for new tortoise, especially a very young tortoise, in a new environment. In general, baby tortoises of most species spend alot of their time hiding. It is a built in survival instinct.
The best thing to do with a new tortoise is make sure that it's enclosure is set up well with the correct temperatures, humidity and hides. Keep a clean, fresh shallow container of water available that the tortoise can easily get in and out of and provide fresh food daily. Other than that, leave it alone. Excessive and constant handling will only prolong the tortoise's acclimation to it's new surroundings. Once the tortoise begins coming out on a regular basis on it's own it can begin to be handled for short, infrequent periods if that's what you want to do. I am of the believe that tortoises should be handled as little as necessary. They're terrestrial animals and many will often panick and flail when picked up. Most are uncomfortable being lifted off the ground. The practice can't be completely eliminated in captivity but can be minimized.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Congratulations on your new herman :)

Richmond2

5 Year Member
Thanks for your support I thought it was normal but I got very worried

image-3126992798.png

image-1699040522.png

Charlieherman

5 Year Member
Yes my Hermans tort did the exact same when I got her at a year and half old, two years on she does not do that anymore and is great so no need to worry :)

Richmond2

5 Year Member
image-288389205.png

image-3784841917.png

Good to hear it was worried he just hides in corner he is 1year old and got him yesterday

Richmond2

5 Year Member
I really like them, he is getting used to his new environment and he a lot more playful

Richmond2

5 Year Member
What does it mean if he is being really lazy not eating much and just hiding himself away in the corner also not so active anymore

Charlieherman

5 Year Member
It is probably just because he is new, young and shy, he will soon pick up an appetite and become wildly active haha :)

Status
Not open for further replies.