New Memeber yet avid reader over past month

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn , NY
Hi after being glued to the forum I've joined ...recently purchased a GPP for Andrew at ATC ...great guy and very informative...I've named him Benito and he is 8 months old being hatched in April 2012...have EcoEarth and reptibark substrate ...a 100 watt powersun MVB and 75 watt on a dimmer over his humid hide log...keep a small area dry with a dry moss hide as well. Temps are 90-95 and 100 in basking area...80 at night...feeding him tortoise pellets from tortoiseshack and mixed greens I've seen Tom and Neil approve of in some past posts....humidity is at 50 to 70 % but just ordered a reptifogger and grassland tortoise pellets from zoomed to add to his diet .....hope I've got it all correct so far...he sleeps a lot but active for the short period he is awake and a strong climber ( back and forth over his log hide at times) seems to sleep 15+ hours a day

image-3535766644.png

image-759104267.png

image-1235431996.png

image-3894700063.png

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
You seem to be doing all the right things! Great tortoise box, I have the same one. If you ever struggle to keep humidity inside you can always cover the top with clear sheets of plastic. Keeps the heat in for less money too :) Zoomed Grassland Pellets are awesome but they make torts grow fast - just be aware of size of enclosure :)

Just a quick note, how often are you soaking? To keep pyramiding to a minimum and hydration up it should be at least once a day for hatchlings/under a year old, for about 30 mins in warm water.

He's so cute!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Doing all things correctly. Congratulations. Definitely daily soakings are a must, but always monitor him when soaking. I once lost a hatchlings because they flipped over while soaking, so soaking in a round container will help prevent this. Good luck!!

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Hey thanks for the input greatly appreciated Ive been waking up 45 minutes earlier since we got him ...i do a soaking in warm water every morning from 15 to 30 min and I def keep my eyes on him when I do...I also spray the enclosure and Benito a couple times a day ...I got vitashell and plan on lightly applying once a week and then brush him with an extra soft toothbrush once a month during his soak to make sure there is no build up of anything

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
LeopardTortLover said:
You seem to be doing all the right things! Great tortoise box, I have the same one. If you ever struggle to keep humidity inside you can always cover the top with clear sheets of plastic. Keeps the heat in for less money too :) Zoomed Grassland Pellets are awesome but they make torts grow fast - just be aware of size of enclosure :)

Just a quick note, how often are you soaking? To keep pyramiding to a minimum and hydration up it should be at least once a day for hatchlings/under a year old, for about 30 mins in warm water.

He's so cute!

I'm hoping the reptifogger helps out but thanks for the idea ....i know this particular enclosure should be good til he is 6" but I plan on getting another and connecting them to double the size soon :)

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
jtrux said:
Good choice, love the species.

Thanks yes I love it as well after looking into which one i wanted I known a GPP was it....all torts are great just something pulled me towards this species....I see that you are very informed on the species as well since reading threads on here non-stop ( my fiancé wants to kill me ). But I was wondering is his size look ok to you for a 9month old and if so what's the avg weight of a GPP at that age?

jtrux said:
Good choice, love the species.

Thanks yes I love it as well after looking into which one i wanted I known a GPP was it....all torts are great just something pulled me towards this species....I see that you are very informed on the species as well since reading threads on here non-stop ( my fiancé wants to kill me ). But I was wondering is his size look ok to you for a 9month old and if so what's the avg weight of a GPP at that age?

GeoGpp1012 said:

GeoGpp1012 said:
Sorry for the double up ...still learning :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Since you asked about sizes at that age:
If i remember correctly, Toms GPP were averaging 500 grams at the 9 month mark. That number sticks out to me because i was super jealous ;)

I have a leopard and s/he was 150 grams at 9 months.

But they all at grow different rates and there are alot of factors.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Team Gomberg said:
Since you asked about sizes at that age:
If i remember correctly, Toms GPP were averaging 500 grams at the 9 month mark. That number sticks out to me because i was super jealous ;)

I have a leopard and s/he was 150 grams at 9 months.

But they all at grow different rates and there are alot of factors.

Hey yes I contacted my breeder today and he made an error on the hatch date he is actually 5 months old...so an August hatch im assuming ....I'm going to be weighing him weekly...tomm marks 2 weeks that I have him.....thanks for the information and reply ....greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.