New Red Foot torts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
Candy said:
Matt, I was wondering about the depth of your pond is that normal or something you just do? I didn't think that tortoises could be submerged in water like that do they swim or am I missing something in the picture? One more question...do you find that Yellowfoots are shyer that Redfoots?

The pond on probably not even 12" deep. It's just deep enough for my adult red foots to soak in. There is a shallow ledge all the way around it so the smaller ones can get in to soak and not have to go to the deeper part. Red Foots are pretty good in the water. They are actually very buoyant, if they ever go to the deeper part they just float, plus it's full of water plants for them to hang on to.

I've only had one yellow foot and I bought her from a show. She had something wrong with her third eyelid and nobody would buy her. The vendor sold her to me for next to nothing. She is not shy at all. I think it depends on if you purchase a wild caught or a captive bred. I've had wild caught red foots before and they were crazy shy. They do come around after a couple months though. I think when people say yellow foots are shy or sensitive, I believe they are talking about they're more sensitive to temperature and humidity, where red foots are much hardier in that area.

I hope this helps.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.