New to forum. Preparing to own tortoises.

Jordalio

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello all! I’m really glad I randomly found this site it seems to have answers to every question anyone could ever have on all tortoise species. I do not yet own any tortoises due to current living and financial situation but I’m about to get a much higher paying job that will allow me to finally acquire my dream pets. I worked at a reptile store a couple years ago and have been obsessed with reptiles/the more natural way to care for reptiles for quite some time, though I still have lots to learn. I was wondering if anybody watch’s Kamp Kenan and could give any input on how he cares for his sulcata and leopard tortoises specifically as these are the two I’m most interested in. I have been watching him for a couple years now and am curious to hear from experienced tortoise keepers if the way he does it is the right way and should be replicated. Thank you all in advance for your responses and I look forward to learning from people who know what they’re talking about.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!
I hope soon your dream will come true!

I didn't watch Kemp Kenan's videos (that's just not the way I gather information). But I've seen some critic in his address on this forum.

I think, you can do your own "mini-research" and read this post: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ and sulcata care sheet at the bottom of it. Then you can compare these recommendations with Kenan's way of keeping tortoises and ask here why things are done this way and not another. Your future tortoise will also benefit from this reading :)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Please ask questions before you purchase a tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and welcome. You are so lucky to be able to do research on this forum before buying. A lot of us didn't find this forum until it was too late.
The few times I seen Kamp Kenans videos, I was not impressed. Too many things he did that this forum doesn't recommend. It was a few years ago, so if he has corrected things, I have no knowledge of that.
Your best future with tortoises would be to stick with this forum. We have all the correct info right here. Over 30 years experience from many members and many that are willing to help you get it right and breeders that do it right from the start.
Congrats on your new position that will help you fulfill one of your dreams.