New Western Hermann's enclosure, any feedback welcome

NE4 Reptiles

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all,

So, in the midst of building an insulated indoor closed chamber enclosure for potential Burmese star tortoise in the near future (hopefully), I decided to add a table top enclosure on top for some Western Hermann's. I had spare materials left over from the closed chamber build plus there was a reptile show on recently and I knew there would be a Western Hermann's breeder, which kind of triggered the build for the Hermann's.

Room has ambient minimum of around 65 f and humidity is around 60 - 65% in the side of the room I will keep the enclosure in. I was happy with those figures to not go down the closed chamber environment for the Hermanns.

Table top enclosure is 8ft x 3 ft

Coco coir substrate 4 -5 inches thick, I have purchased orchid bark for the closed chamber but will keep the coir for the time being for the Hermanns.

Have t5 12% uvb, positioned to have UVI of 4 as measured with solar meter 6.5. On a timer for about 4 hours from 11am until 3pm.

75 w bulb for basking, height positioned to hhave a basking area temp of around 95 f on the basking stone.

Extra ambient light is provided by a 24w plant led grow light bulb which will also helps plant growth of the live plants I've put in:

A larger Boston fern in one end near to one of the humid hides (upside down plastic washing basin) which also provides additional humid hiding areas.

Several birds nest ferns and a succulent.

Plants are only partially buried with their pots in the substrate so can be easily moved or taken out if required.

Have placed a reptile/aquarium safe bog wood type piece of wood at the other end which breaks up the floor area, provides hiding spaces and also has an additional cork bark hide behind it.

Food/drink is from terracotta dishes, placed in to a layer of orchid bark to keep dishes coir free, additional texture and it just looks nice for the humans.

Have a wifi connected thermostat along with additional WiFi humidity and temperature gauges monitoring the enclosure conditions.

If feel like need additional ambient heating have a CHE ready to put in.

Literally just put the tortoises in this morning.Hope you guys like my first attempt at a tortoise enclosure, any feed back welcome.

Note, wires will be tided up and I may build an alternative ambient light stand/holder, just used what I had at hand. It does the job but is bit ugly lol. Closed chamber isn't quite finished so excuse the messy paint on the outside.

20230928_094605.jpg20230928_094816.jpg20230928_095055.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks great. How old are they and how many? Hatchings Upton 2 or 3 years should be in a closed chamber.
All lights should hang straight down, not slanted.

NE4 Reptiles

Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi, there are 3, about 1 year old.

Humidity inside the table in open space is 72-74%, under the hides and plants it's higher. If humidity and temperature are maintained what would the reason be for needing an enclosed environment?

Only the basking bulb has a slight angle, found a greater area was heated this way, I can point the basking lamp down, not quite sure what difference it would make given that it is a simple bulb inside the reflector?