Non-molding Substrate

aclesi11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
What substrate is less prone to mold when kept moist in your experience? I am considering coconut coir. Where can I get a large amount for cheap?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I use organic peat moss mixed with organic top soil. I've never had an issue of mold growing in my substrate. I use it in my humid, closed chambers.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Coco coir and cypress mulch.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Re: RE: Non-molding Substrate

wellington said:
Coconut coir is my fave and will not mold.

Mine too it's the only substrate I've ever used that will not mold.Living in the mid west there's lot's of mold spores in the air so it's great to use.The only other I would use is peat moss but it's a little to dusty when it dries and it will grow mold if you have a area that Is moist to long like around the water bowl area.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
wellington said:

Love this stuff [HEAVY BLACK HEART]️[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] I pour water into the corners of the enclosure to keep up the humidity and never have a problem with mold ( as long as temps are kept within range)

aclesi11

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
james1974 said:
wellington said:

Mine too it's the only substrate I've ever used that will not mold.Living in the mid west there's lot's of mold spores in the air so it's great to use.The only other I would use is peat moss but it's a little to dusty when it dries and it will grow mold if you have a area that Is moist to long like around the water bowl area.

Exactly the mold problem i'm having with peat moss. i also don't like the dustiness of it when it dries.

Where does everyone buy their coconut coir?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Odd. Maybe in that I mix mine with top soil and run a humidifier, in the one and daily mist the other, I've never had an issue with dust. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and as Sandy has pointed out, mold is our state flower. Yet I've never had a mold problem in my enclosures.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I get mine at a place called Ocean's Floor in Phoenix

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Re: RE: Non-molding Substrate

aclesi11 said:
james1974 said:
wellington said:

Exactly the mold problem i'm having with peat moss. i also don't like the dustiness of it when it dries.

Where does everyone buy their coconut coir?
you can get it from petco petsmart or any reptile shop.I get mine at drfostersmith.com they are the cheapest plus I buy my lighting from them spend fifty dollars free shipping, zoomed it comes in a three bricks soak in warm water then it brakes up,just use a little water at a time so it doesn't get to soggy with water if it does get to soggy just squeeze it out,I just do a little at a time myself,but after you do it a couple of times you will figure it out.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I'm loco for coco. And I got mine, in the spring time, from Target. Only 2.47 a brick so I stocked up. Mark your calendars bargain shoppers and run don't walk when Tarjay puts out the spring seeds and planting things, usually right after the new year. The coco coir was right there, Burpee brand.

Also, the cool thing about coco is that you can "wash" it and reuse it. One of the experts shared this on a former thread, either Dean or Neal. Thank you to them, so knowledgeable. I use a 5 gallon bucket, take my old coco coir out of the enclosure and put it in the bucket, pour hot water (I actually boiled mine to further sterilize), let it sit about 15 minutes, stir and then I put handfuls on a strainer, push the water out, over a tree in the garden so that it gets fed with the dirty water (yay!) and then put back in the enclosure. Voila! nice and clean, ready to re-use. The expert said he has done this for several years now. Talk about maximum use!

I really like the stuff. Be sure to not get any, if you go to a plant place, nursery or big box store, with additives, like fertilizers. Sometimes they have that in there for seedlings. No good for tortoises. And reminder, always read the ingredients and make sure it is simply the thing you need and nothing else. It ain't a bargain if it hurts our tortoises.

aclesi11

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
So ive had the coconut coir in the enclosure for almost a week anddddd today i noticed mold growing. Any ideas on what im doing wrong? Am I making it too moist? The humidity is around 80-90% in the enclosure and the coir is somewhat moist