Options for water sealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hey alll!

My redfoots are getting larger a smidge faster than I expected, so it may be time to start thinking about building a new tortoise table. What are my options for sealing it against water? I want something effective while not spending a whole lot... basically, nothing fancy. I was looking at thompson's water sealant... any thoughts?

I don't have any final specs for the table, but I'm thinking it's gonna be pretty basic. 1ft high planks of wood for the sides with a 1/2" plywood bottom.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I considered that, but it's a bit too expensive... looking to keep it under $10!

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
I used Plasti-Kote automotive undercoating.
Same stuff as the Flex-Seal spray on rubber you see on TV, except it's $7 instead of $19.99 (if you order in the next 10 minutes) and readily available at any auto parts store or tractor supply.
I pour a full pitcher into my Redfoot's enclosure 2-3 times a week, no leaks

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
EP429 said:
I used Plasti-Kote automotive undercoating.
Same stuff as the Flex-Seal spray on rubber you see on TV, except it's $7 instead of $19.99 (if you order in the next 10 minutes) and readily available at any auto parts store or tractor supply.
I pour a full pitcher into my Redfoot's enclosure 2-3 times a week, no leaks

Good idea! I've heard of that stuff and thought about using it myself.

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
I just wanted to do a follow-up on this.
The Plasti-Kote stuff started swelling & chipping within 6 months. It worked great at first, but I'm gonna have to strip and redo my enclosure here soon

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm just going to use a shower-liner I picked up at Lowe's for 5 bucks, and staple it in there.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Would it be okay to use polyurethane? That stuff is pretty cheap and it definitely protects the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.