Pancake prolapse :(

TiffanyVL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA USA
I’m really sad, I woke this morning and found one of my pancake tortoises with a prolapse :( I have an emergency vet appointment in a few hours. In the mean time I’ve keep him/her in a warm sugar water soak. Doesn’t seem to be helping though. Does that look like intestines or bladder? I read somewhere if it’s kind clear it might be the bladder?? Fellow tortoise people, what are your thoughts? Other suggestions and theories welcomed
3F8CF1E1-D280-44E6-B6B7-DB47E208D668.jpeg

Attachments

• F06110DB-AA60-4F00-815F-1E6E15354904.jpeg
    F06110DB-AA60-4F00-815F-1E6E15354904.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • A0EAC07F-2674-42E8-AA5A-0318DB9F5686.jpeg
    A0EAC07F-2674-42E8-AA5A-0318DB9F5686.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • B901EDA4-7F7A-4E32-BAF2-AB572E21910D.jpeg
    B901EDA4-7F7A-4E32-BAF2-AB572E21910D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to make a paste from the sugar not add it to the water. Add a small amount of water to a large amount of sugar so it makes a paste. Put that on the prolapse and keep it on. Put him in a container and keep him warm.

TiffanyVL

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA USA
492E3C85-4689-4E74-B1ED-9004FC9B37CD.jpeg
I’m at the vet and they want to take an x-ray, then depending on the results-try to shove it back in, suture it for 5days, inject antibiotics and calcium, give an anti parasitic and go from there. After discussion with my vet I’m thinking this happened from trauma-poor guy got stuck sideways two days ago in a wooden decor piece in his/her enclosure-but who knows

TiffanyVL

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA USA
Does it have parasites? If not then why give a drug for it?
Not sure I would have calcium injected either. Too much is as bad as too little.
@Yvonne G
These responses are probably too late so good luck hope they made the right choices.
🤔 yeah your right, I’ve had it for 7 years, I doubt it has parasites

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You just have to ask questions when you have a tortoise at a vet. They don't know that much about them. Question everything they want to do outside of the obvious, like an xray is fine, it's a prolapse and best to make sure not blockage causing it. Drugs for parasites, if they didn't do a test for parasite then question them why and either demand a fecal first or tell them no.
Same with the calcium. Did they even ask you about the diet and any calcium additive you might already give?
Question everything, they need to give you a reason.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Honestly. Most vets, from what I have seen, are just experimenting with tortoises as they use the poor creatures to gain experience for their own benefit. Also, they don't want to appear at a loss or look like they are wasting your money. These vets may kill your tortoise just from stress alone.

TiffanyVL

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA USA
Same with the calcium. Did they even ask you about the diet and any calcium additive you might already give?
Question everything, they need to give you a reason.
Te vet tech asked me all the right questions, and I repeated a lot of it to the vet. That it’s an indoor tortoise that gets regular D3 and Ca supplements. Looking back to yesterday I probably should have not been such a push over. So far my tortoise has been eating and basking as usual…. time will tell. They gave me the Pancur to give at home-Im not going to give it just money wasted. They did give me antibiotics ceftazidime shots to give every 72 hours hopefully that safe to give to tortoises?

Last edited:

~Valerie

SW Florida
Te vet tech asked me all the right questions, and I repeated a lot of it to the vet. That it’s an indoor tortoise that gets regular D3 and Ca supplements. Looking back to yesterday I probably should have not been such a push over. So far my tortoise has been eating and basking as usual…. time will tell. They gave me the Pancur to give at home-Im not going to give it just money wasted. They did give me antibiotics ceftazidime shots to give every 72 hours hopefully that safe to give to tortoises?
Yes Ceftazadine is safe for tortoises and is indicated for this condition. That was good care from your vet. :)