picky tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
so my little Russian has favored lettuces of all kinds! i have tried multiple times to get him to eat some dandelions and some other weeds, i have even tried to hide them under some romaine (his favorite). should i try some tough love and only offer weeds and only limit his lettuce intake? or is it ok for him to just eat a wide variety of lettuce greens from the store? i got him to eat a dandelion leaf once, he made an awful face and gagged it down... what should i do? he loves red & green leaf lettuce, romaine, kale, mustard & collards, and much more.

C

Claireabbo

i am having the same issue. and i was going to post something :)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
You can try chopping it all up real small so that he gets a mixture.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Eliminate the foods that your tortoise favors and only feed the others. Once he begins eating the larger variety of foods a few of the favorites can be re-introduced in small quantities and monitored. Even the grocery store greens are fine as long as a wide enough variety is fed. But a diet for Russians that is heavy in high water content lettuces such green & red leaf and romaine is not only going to eventually cause loose and undigested stool but is also very nutrient deficient. How often is your tortoise getting access to water? I am asking because I have often seen Testudo species favor foods that are softer and not as dry when water is readily available to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.