Please Help!!! California Desert Tortoise Hatchling!!!

miklogan

Location (City and/or State)
Arcadia, CA
Hello,
We have had 3 (adult) California Desert Tortoises since before I was born (the tortoises are 40-60 years old). We just had a hatchling that we found today and I've never cared for a baby, only adults. The adults have free roam of the back yard, and I know hatchlings need a lot of care to survive. So basically, I need help on how to care for my hatchling. I need to know what to feed, how to build an enclosure (how big, what substrate, what heat/bask lamps), and basically everything!!! I need how to care for a hatchling 101!!!! I've been researching for the past 4 hours, but there's so much conflicting information out there. Please help!

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello and welcome!

You’ll find so much conflicting information outside of the forum, speaking from experience all it will do is cause you confusion. You can rest assured this place has the most up to date, safest care information out there!

This thread below should hopefully help you out, I know it says Russians and hermans, but their care is pretty similar as babies, it goes over correct equipment, levels, appropriately maintaining humidity, the need for a closed chamber with babies, with lots of visual examples for everything!

This one should hopefully help you avoid the wrong kinds of bulbs, substrates etc, and you can always double check purchases on here before buying!

Hope this helps! Let me tag @Yvonne G too incase she feels I’ve missed anything as I’m not as familiar with desert tortoises🙂