Please help ID

poco

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Please help ID.
Wonder if it is edible.
Thx.
The 3rd pic is the flower, it used to be full red ball / sphere shaped. This one is wilting.IMG_20150426_171342.jpg IMG_20150426_171402.jpg IMG_20150426_171419.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is an interesting one. The closest I could come to finding one like it was Solomon's Seal, but it's not the same. Let's see if @Iochroma has any ideas

poco

Indonesia
The third one looks so weird, I bet it's poisonous.

I should probably mentioned that all three pictures are from the same plant. The first one shows the leaves, second is the steam and some smaller newly growth , and third is the flower of the plant, but passed the peak, wilting down now.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I'm sure I have seen this, but its name is not coming to me. I think it is a South African bulb, and probably like most of those, fairly poisonous. I would really like to see a pic of the flower when it produces the next one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was doing a Google search for this plant and came across the Italian arum, which has berries similar to the picture above, so I searched for Indonesian arum. I didn't find your plant, but was amazed at something I DID find:

caring-for-the-titan-arum.jpg

Oh My Lord In Heaven!!!! I'd love to be able to grow something like this here in my climate.

poco

Indonesia
I'm sure I have seen this, but its name is not coming to me. I think it is a South African bulb, and probably like most of those, fairly poisonous. I would really like to see a pic of the flower when it produces the next one.

Probably poisonous means we keep it out of our tortoises, better be safe.
Having said that, one of my brown mountain tortoise ate maybe one leaf few months back, didn't seem to have any ill effect.
Thanks, will post a pic of flower next time it blossoms.

poco

Indonesia
I was doing a Google search for this plant and came across the Italian arum, which has berries similar to the picture above, so I searched for Indonesian arum. I didn't find your plant, but was amazed at something I DID find:

Oh My Lord In Heaven!!!! I'd love to be able to grow something like this here in my climate.

Haha, you probably will regret planting that once it blossom, it smells like rotten dead animals, attracts tons of flies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Manouria tortoises can eat lots of plants that are not good for other tortoises. Don't use them as an indicator.

poco

Indonesia
Yeah, I am aware of that.
I think we still do not have any scientific explanation on how they can consume those colocasia plants with no ill effect.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco

You can grow,this: Amorphophallus konjac
image.jpg

poco

Indonesia
The plant produces another flower, so I guess I should update here ...
A friend told me the common name is blood lily.
I did a check on wiki, seems correct but I can't say for sure which species.

Attachments

• IMG_20150806_175111.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited: