Possible Box Turtle Leg Injury.

Maxwell Brashier

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Hill, Tennessee
Hello, I could use some help. My Eastern Box Turtle, Turbo, appears to have a leg injury, but I'm not sure. I noticed that she keeps her right front leg laying mostly limp with her foot facing up at all times. When she is walking she also keeps her leg like this, using the top of her foot like the bottom. Here is a picture.2017-08-25 12.10.23.jpg

Rt1jen

Hard to tell from the pic! How long have you noticed this behavior?

Kasia

Poland
Hello, I could use some help. My Eastern Box Turtle, Turbo, appears to have a leg injury, but I'm not sure. I noticed that she keeps her right front leg laying mostly limp with her foot facing up at all times. When she is walking she also keeps her leg like this, using the top of her foot like the bottom. Here is a picture.View attachment 216538
Hi
It looks twisted/even broken and he is probably in pain. Get him to a Vet, X-ray is a must. He will need this leg, don't wait. If it starts to heal it's going to be more difficult to set up. Good luck for both of your.

Rt1jen

Hi
It looks twisted/even broken and he is probably in pain. Get him to a Vet, X-ray is a must. He will need this leg, don't wait. If it starts to heal it's going to be more difficult to set up. Good luck for both of your.
Don't think he should be in panic mode just yet!

Kasia

Poland
Don't think he should be in panic mode just yet!
Not in panic mode but in a set up a Vet appointment mode:) I think that if it was a human child he would be sitting next to a doctor's office right now but it's a tortoise so people tend to go in a "let's see how it goes, maybe we won't have to spend money" direction. He's in pain, if he wasn't he would use that leg. Obvious it's not fine. My next thought would be that I should seek help and medical advice to ease him in some way. I don't think that's too much...

Rt1jen

Not in panic mode but in a set up a Vet appointment mode:) I think that if it was a human child he would be sitting next to a doctor's office right now but it's a tortoise so people tend to go in a "let's see how it goes, maybe we won't have to spend money" direction. He's in pain, if he wasn't he would use that leg. Obvious it's not fine. My next thought would be that I should seek help and medical advice to ease him in some way. I don't think that's too much...
Well maybe he'll take your advice. Who knows!

Rt1jen

I'm glad it worked out for you. Your turtle is lucky to have you:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Maxwell and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
I'm so glad the leg was nothing too serious.
Hope she recovers soon.