Possible Health Concerns

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
My friend recently acquired a Russian tortoise from well-meaning but ill-informed owners. For six years he was fed only romaine and iceberg lettuce, and box turtle food (chicken as the third ingredient), provided with no additional heat and kept in a tiny glass enclosure with another tortoise. He was not given enough substrate to burrow in and had no hide. As far as I know, he has no health issues and appears healthy and alert; aside from an overgrown beak and nails. He is now cared for properly and will soon be moved to a spacious outdoor enclosure.
I know torts are hardy creatures, but I still can't believe he has been treated that way and suffered no obvious ill effects. I am concerned about kidney damage from the combination of protein/dehydration. I checked for metabolic bone disease and most vitamin deficiencies I know the symptoms for, but was wondering if anyone could think of any other potential health issues based upon those conditions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The best you can do is house and feed the correct way now. You could have a blood test done. However, you better have a really good reptile vet that has worked with a lot of tortoises. So many know almost nothing about tortoises and can do more damage then good.

Northern California
I'm really lucky up here in Nor Cal with a vet who is very experienced with tortoises. I will suggest they get the blood work when his beak is trimmed.